Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken Futaba R/C receiver

stef_stef

Jun 18, 2018
Hi everyone,

Just signed up here for some help. I have a Futaba R146iP received, that I accidental supplied higher voltage to it and I believe it was a diode that blew up and it started smoking. I disconnected it right away and found the blown part from the "diode". Attached is an image from the receiver and the diode.

I am looking for some help if replacing the damaged part, would be sufficient to bring the receiver back to life, or it is probably damaged beyond repair.

Thanks

Edit: The markings are 47 10T

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 33
  • FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 40

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I believe it was a diode that blew up and it started smoking. I disconnected it right away and found the blown part from the "diode". Attached is an image from the receiver and the diode

It's not a diode, it's a 47uF 10V tantalum capacitor

chances are,e even if you replace the cap, the unit will still be dead because the higher voltage will have killed other parts

stef_stef

Jun 18, 2018
It's not a diode, it's a 47uF 10V tantalum capacitor

chances are,e even if you replace the cap, the unit will still be dead because the higher voltage will have killed other parts
I guess the only way to find out would be to replace it? :D

stef_stef

Jun 18, 2018
99% probability it ( if the rest of the board was OK) would still work without the cap

Well, I connected it for a brief moment by mistake to the correct power source, and the cap started glowing, so I disconnected it ASAP.

I think it is a safer option to replace the cap first, and test it out. Hopefully, I can find a similar replacement over here, so that I do not have to order it online.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Well, I connected it for a brief moment by mistake to the correct power source, and the cap started glowing, so I disconnected it ASAP.

you can give it a try, :) but most likely the one or both of those chips will have died due to over voltage long before the capacitor glowed and emitted smoke
it would only take a fraction of a second to kill the chip(s)

stef_stef

Jun 18, 2018
you can give it a try, :) but most likely the one or both of those chips will have died due to over voltage long before the capacitor glowed and emitted smoke
it would only take a fraction of a second to kill the chip(s)

Thanks so much for the input. Either way, my transmitter is dead too i guess... So it is time for an upgrade, just wanted to test thing out before I throw them away

Btw, that cap is rated at 10V and I supplied little less than 8V when it burned out. The receiver itself is designed for 5V

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Why would the Tx be dead also?
Same high voltage treatment?
After market 2.4g receivers are available for as little as $15 for short range, maybe $25 for long range.

stef_stef

Jun 18, 2018
Why would the Tx be dead also?
Same high voltage treatment?
After market 2.4g receivers are available for as little as $15 for short range, maybe $25 for long range.

Nah, the reason why I damaged the receiver was probably because of a faulty Tx. I was trying to troubleshoot what part of the equipment is not working... But since I tried the Tx with a friends receiver that I know it works, it is most probably the Tx that is not functioning properly.

And yeah, I will eventually switch to 2.4 Ghz equipment. I needed a new radio anyways

stef_stef

Jun 18, 2018
Might be a good lesson for you then in that case.
I'd suggest a quick look at the attachment

Haha :) Great one. Except that would not have been able to sleep unless I got this fixed or trashed.

P.S. Nobody knows me over here