Maker Pro
Maker Pro

broke my chair again

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
so can anyone explain to me why office chairs allow you to recline but by doing so you break them? 3 chair in 2 years. and it hurts so badly when I fall. I am not that big of a person but yeah this is starting to hurt

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Well donkey, when you put them together generally you do want to use the screws/bolts...

Kidding of course, I cant say that I have had this issue, I have had the same chair for... 4 years? the only issue I have with it is the arms, the fake leather (which I despise anyways) is cracking and flaking off of the fabric backer, the structural integrity is still there for the most part.

Maybe try finding one that is a little higher quality (means spending a bit more but generally its worth it).

What exactly breaks? does the piston mounting plate break off of the bottom?

I'm no expert but maybe adjusting the "lean back resistance knob" either harder or lighter may help?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I hear ya Donkey

I have been going through office chairs at a high rate too
they just seem to be crap made.
It always breaks the weld between the plate and the top of the piston
The one I have has been wobbling at that point for the last 4 months.
It lasted a month before failing. I have probably been through ~ 4 or 5 in the last couple of years

useless crap from Office Works

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I was going to point out to donkey that his problem may be somehow related to his sig, but after more consideration I decided not to.

Someone I did a favour for purchased for me (over my protestations) a very nice chair for my office that shows no signs of failure.

The ones I have in my office at work are very old and sturdy, but also very worn.

I also have a collection of broken "cheap" gas-lift stools. Either the gas lift died, or the plastic fractured. They were replaced with solid wood stools. The remaining two bar stools live in my workshop where I stand at my bench more than sit. (Note, the stool I link to is what mine looks like, but I bought 4 for the price of the one shown here, so this one may be a higher quality).

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Yeah, I broke an office chair by leaning back on it. The point of failure was the steel plate that sits under the seat cushion. A cylindrical section is welded onto it, and the upright from the wheel base goes up inside the cylinder. Well, the steel plate, which was about 3 mm thick, just broke, around the outside edge of the cylinder, outside the weld. I was not impressed. Luckily I wasn't hurt.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Yeah, I used a gym ball for a while. It was quite comfortable. You have to be careful not to drop hot solder on it though! And keep the floor clear of component leads.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
or perhaps one of these?

No problems with hot solder or component leads!

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
So this is Donkey's replacement office chair.

attachment.php

I think its some kind of executive model?

Attachments

• DSCN3820small.jpg
    DSCN3820small.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 298