Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Braun Shaver 7526 Circuit Board

sigrog

May 9, 2017
While installing 2 batteries on circuit board, board got very hot in vicinity of diode and resistor so removed batteries. Would like to try to fix by installing new resistor and diode. The resistor is surface mount R-100 and the diode is 21DQ0326. The diode is located on top of board near batteries and the resistor is under the diode on bottom of board. In the past, replaced batteries without having the hot circuit board problem. Heat is in the location of the diode and resistor. Where can I find these parts to try to repair the board? Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm an old guy with no electronics experience - just like to try to fix things.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
While installing 2 batteries on circuit board, board got very hot in vicinity of diode and resistor so removed batteries

sharp and well lit photos of both sides of the board would be helpful :)

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Seems as if you have connected the batteries the wrong way round.
If you are lucky the resistor and diode will have done their job without failure. You can test both components with a simple meter.
Does it work with the batteries connected correctly?

sigrog

May 9, 2017
P1030698.JPG I had no trouble until I installed batteries as per advice received from shaver company. When installed as directed, that's when the components failed. The resistor has actually come apart, the diode on other side of board just has dark heat marks under the diode. I thought maybe I could just try new parts and try again. Thanks for your comments.P1030697.JPG P1030697.JPG

Attachments

• P1030699.JPG
    P1030699.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 142

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Has one of the big electrolytic capacitors got a domed top?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Would just replacing the diode and bad resistor solve the heat problem when batteries installed? Also, where can one purchase the parts? Thanks
Not if a part is missing.
Did that resistor explode or did you try and solder it and it melted?
It looks like solder shorted the two traces on the right side. That could cause your overheating batteries.
There is a link to suppliers on this forum.
I'd start by removing all that solder around R100 with a solder sucker or desoldering braid. From there you can evaluate how bad the traces are.
Honestly this is probably a lot of work for an inexpensive shaver.
Have you considered growing a beard?

sigrog

May 9, 2017
Not if a part is missing.
Did that resistor explode or did you try and solder it and it melted?
It looks like solder shorted the two traces on the right side. That could cause your overheating batteries.
There is a link to suppliers on this forum.
I'd start by removing all that solder around R100 with a solder sucker or desoldering braid. From there you can evaluate how bad the traces are.
Honestly this is probably a lot of work for an inexpensive shaver.
Have you considered growing a beard?

First, thanks for responding. I did not try to solder the resistor nor did the resistor explode. I ran into this problem trying to install new batteries. As soon as I installed the batteries, the board got very hot in the area of the resistor and diode as well as the batteries getting hot. The only reason I am trying to fix the shaver is stubbornness...I know nothing about electronics, but thought if I replaced the resistor and diode, it might work and then I could try again. I don't really need the shaver, just wanted the satisfaction of knowing I could fix it. Probably better if I stuck to fixing things not quite so complex. As for beard, good thought, but wife would not be happy. Thanks again for taking time to answer...appreciate it.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
First, thanks for responding. I did not try to solder the resistor nor did the resistor explode. I ran into this problem trying to install new batteries. As soon as I installed the batteries, the board got very hot in the area of the resistor and diode as well as the batteries getting hot. The only reason I am trying to fix the shaver is stubbornness...I know nothing about electronics, but thought if I replaced the resistor and diode, it might work and then I could try again. I don't really need the shaver, just wanted the satisfaction of knowing I could fix it. Probably better if I stuck to fixing things not quite so complex. As for beard, good thought, but wife would not be happy. Thanks again for taking time to answer...appreciate it.
Very good, I admire your stubbornness.
Something happened to that resistor to make it end up in pieces like that.
Take a close look at the blob of solder on the right side of it. It shouldn't make contact with both traces. That could be your short while the diode may still be fine. You could start by removing the exploded resistor and remove the excess solder so we can try and put Humpty back together again. The other point of confusion is what was above the resistor?

sigrog

May 9, 2017
Very good, I admire your stubbornness.
Something happened to that resistor to make it end up in pieces like that.
Take a close look at the blob of solder on the right side of it. It shouldn't make contact with both traces. That could be your short while the diode may still be fine. You could start by removing the exploded resistor and remove the excess solder so we can try and put Humpty back together again. The other point of confusion is what was above the resistor?

Thanks for the advice. I just may set this aside...if it sits long enough, I may forget all about it. I guess I'll eventually admit defeat and just let it go...thanks again for your time and suggestions. Very much appreciated.