Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner needs help identifying PCB connector types

simson918

Dec 3, 2011
I'm working on a simple project wherein I need to duplicate some connectors and wires. Problem is after three days of scouring the net I can't get a definitive answer. The first is a 20 pin, (2x10) connector for an LCD screen about 0.5" in length. The second, a 6-pin (1x6) connector about 0.4" in length, presumably for power. the third is an 8-pin (1x8) connector used to send power to the LCD backlight, also about 0.5" in length. attached is a scan of the three as compared to a nickel.

Any help identifying these connectors would be greatly appreciated.

conNickel.jpg

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi simson918.
Welcome to the forum. They could be anything, have you not got the old removed lcd display for comparison, the 6 and 8 pin connectors could be smp power of different voltages, maybe, the 20 pin connector is most likely data connection, whats the unit, can you get a schematic / drawing.

My guess is just that, so dont apply power to anything, you need a schematic for the pin outs, if its a standard piece of gear the manufacture's might supply a diagram, not always but some user manuals have schematics in the back of the booklet. :)

simson918

Dec 3, 2011
Dave, I do have the original display, It's a Samsung LTM170E4-L01 Pulled from an NEC LCD1720M. I'm simply attempting to extend the wires on these connections so I can adapt the display to a different case. I'd much prefer to do so without severing any connections. Provided are several more photos of the connections in question, as well as their respective wires. Near as I can tell, the 20 pin connector is, as you said the data cable for the LCD display, the 6 pin connector is power for the LCD display, and the 8 pin connector is power for the LCD backlight. Both the six and eight pin connectors appear to be the same form factor, merely different pin quantity (pin size and spacing appears to be the same).

I did find a data sheet online ( http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/105716/SAMSUNG/LTM170E4.html ), but as far as I can see, it makes no useful reference to the the types of connectors used. I couldn't find a data sheet on the NEC unit, only on the Samsung component.

ConsPhoto.jpg

Thank you for your response.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What you ask is non-trivial.

Manufacturers of connectors make a dazzlingly wide range of connectors, often with subtle differences.

If you're really lucky you might find a manufacturer name (or gasp!) a product number.

On the other hand, it's also quite possible that the connectors are custom.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
:)
This kind of need could be addressed using tabletop modeling machines such as RepRap.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi again. it is really sad , but the cold reality is finding the exactly the connections you need could be like looking for a needle in a hay stack, anyway i am not sure what Poor Mystic is talking about, i need to find out what it means, i do know he knows a lot, so definitely worth following up.

Last edited:

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Well. A Rep Rap machine needs insructions but it can build almost anything out of plastic. It's a home plastics factory, fully programmable and cheap to run. Lots of people have them but stil not many in the wider scheme of things - I have no Rep Rap machine, for example.
However there is a conceivable solution to your problem in such a machine.
It would still be a lot of work.