Maker Pro
Maker Pro

batteries for ITI Commander 3000

hvulpus

Dec 28, 2010
I have an ITI Commander 3000, which I understand has not been made since 2003. I need now to change the batteries. The manual lists a number of batteries that are no longer made, Alkaline Everready E91, Duracell MN1500, Panasonic AM3X; NiCd: Panasonic P-70 AAS, Sanyo N-600-AA, the last of which is in the panel box now. Do you think I can purchase any 1.2v AA NiCd with a MAH of 600, which are the specs on the current batteries?

Any information appreciated.

Howard
New Haven, CT

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You can probably replace it with and AA size NiCad you can get. Chances are that the capacity might be higher -- it will not be an issue.

hvulpus

Dec 28, 2010
thanks

Thank you so much. I don't understand, then, why originally the maker, ITI is so careful to specify which batteries are to be used, and no others.

Howard
New Haven, CT

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The manufacturer probably took the time to check the specifications, and probably test those batteries to ensure that with them the device operated within specifications.

Depending on the country you're in, anf what this device does, it is quite possible that to have the device certified, the battery must be specified.

However, you're not the manufacturer, and you're probably not really concerned that a replacement battery has not been shown to have no effect on technical specifications that it is unlikely to affect (that must be a quadruple negative!!).

You may find that the charging time is much longer (but the life between charges is also longer) if you use a higher capacity battery. If the specs say it will charge in 60 minutes, maybe it will now take 120.

The manufacturer also wants to make sure you don't put non-rechargeable batteries in it, or the wrong type of rechargeable battery. They can't know the part numbers for all batteries, especially the ones that came out after the device was sold.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I agree with all steve said excellent advice and in some cases.....
The manufacturer also wants to make sure you purchase their expensive replacements rather than some other suppliers better priced units :rolleyes:

Dave