Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic speaker setup

Setiyeti

Oct 13, 2017
Hello,
This is my first post here, but I've used this forum before to glean info.

I've decided to start using the boxes of electronic components I appear to have inherited. I thought I'd use the two 1.5w 8Ω speakers I've got on the top of the boxes. So my question is simple: what should a powered speaker circuit look like? In my mind I see it as input (in this case a jack) feeding an ic for amplification, fed into the speaker as per the pin outs...

My current knowledge level is just beyond beginner, early intermediate... I'm used to working with high voltage terminal mechanisms, but have recently tried to get into "proper" electronics.

Thanks in advance.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there

welcome to EP :)

I thought I'd use the two 1.5w 8Ω speakers I've got on the top of the boxes. So my question is simple: what should a powered speaker circuit look like? In my mind I see it as input (in this case a jack) feeding an ic for amplification, fed into the speaker as per the pin outs...

what is your intended sound source as that will determine if you need amplifiers for them or not. ?
1.5W is pretty low and wouldn't need much of a signal to drive them fully

Dave

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A speaker that is as cheap as 1.5W will sound awful. But it will play smoke alarm beeps and baby crying sounds pretty well but not loud.

Setiyeti

Oct 13, 2017
Hi there

welcome to EP :)

what is your intended sound source as that will determine if you need amplifiers for them or not. ?
1.5W is pretty low and wouldn't need much of a signal to drive them fully

Dave

Champion! I'll.give it a try being driven and report my result. I'm don't want to use them as real speakers.

Like I said this is my first foray into this. I am at home with mechanical switches and the like, but I look at the speaker and think; " oh this says 1.5 watt,and 8Ω, that sounds like it needs stuff to drive it"

Once I get them to make an intelagable sound, I'll root through my boxs of components for my next play about

Setiyeti

Oct 13, 2017
A speaker that is as cheap as 1.5W will sound awful. But it will play smoke alarm beeps and baby crying sounds pretty well but not loud.

Well that's exactly what I want! A smoke alarm that sounds like a baby crying, and for that matter I want it load enough to defen this half of.the world!!.... I jest of course, thanks for the reply. I'll post what happens later.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Hi SetiYeti.
Welcome to the fascinating hobby of electronics.
If you have an electronics component supplier nearby, some keep small hand-books aimed at the hobbyist.
Babani UK is one of the publishers, with booklets on 555 timer IC circuits, transistor circuits, video and hi-fi, loudspeakers & enclosures, etc.
From early days, I collected these and monthly electronic magazine publications.
Most include descriptions of how the circuits work.

Regards, Clive.