Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic PCB Boards for use with a microcontroller

Constan7ine

Jan 15, 2014
Hello,

Firstly I should state that I am quite new to the world of electronics and so excuse my inadequacy in the field.

I was recently given an EasyPIC v7 as a present, but there are a few things my brain wants to get cleared up so I understand what is going on.

Firstly I understand that an EasyPIC is a development board that I develop and test my microcontroller programs on before using the program, and the programmed microcontroller in actual practical projects.

This would mean, after developing my project on the EasyPIC board I take the microcontroller and plug it into the project's PCB board. Is this correct?

So my main question is, do I need to design and make my own PCB boards for a particular use with the microcontroller, or can I buy cheap and basic general PCB boards to plug my microcontroller in so I can use it.

Obviously I know that I can make my own PCB board but it might be easier for the time being to use a basic ready made one.

If these basic ready made PCB boards exist for me to use with my microcontroller were can I get them?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How much experience do you have?

Many designs can be prototyped on solderless breadboards, then built using various techniques short of creating your own PCBs.

But sure, creating your own PCB is possible. Veroboard and break-out boards are probably the closest thing to "general PCB boards"

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

As Steve says, veroboard (aka stripboard) is a good option for prototypes and one-off projects. It works best with through-hole devices (devices with pins on a 0.1 inch grid that go through holes in the board); many PICs are available in through-hole packages (and I think this is a significant reason for their popularity with hobbyists). Through-hole devices can also be used with solderless breadboards for initial prototyping.

There are also modules available that integrate a microcontroller, a USB port, real-time clock, and other commonly needed devices onto a circuit board that has through-hole pins on it, so it can be inserted into stripboard (with or without an IC socket) to provide a higher level of integration.

Try a Google image search for PIC module or PIC module DIP.

Constan7ine

Jan 15, 2014
My experience is limited to basic circuits and electronics, microcontrollers are a whole new thing to me.

Also thanks for your help, breadboard's and veroboards seem to be ideal for small projects and prototyping, since etching a PCB is quite a commitment. I like this idea of a module with a clock and other useful things on a board.