Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatic Re-setting target

Rapidrob

Sep 12, 2016
I need help in designing an automatic re-setting target's electronic control circuit.
In theory it is very simple . My question is the re-set to cycle again
The target will be electrically driven to just over vertical or 92 degrees. The target will make a momentary switch which will pulse the control circuit and reverse the lifting arm. It will in return make a switch and stop.
The target will be struck and fall by gravity and make a switch and start the cycle once again.
So the sequence would be:
Target is at 92 degrees vertical and making the momentary switch. The lifting arm has returned and is at rest (park) out of the way of the target and the circuit goes to sleep waiting for the target to pulse the circuit when it falls.
The target is struck and falls
It in turn make another momentary switch and the cycle starts all over again.
I found a device on ebay that in its self or used in a pair may be just what I'm looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371731562196?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Mods: I am not selling this device,nor am I involved with it in any way. It is for clarity of this post only.
I think this device may work as a stand alone or being used in tandem for what I need.
I look forward to what you members think or ideas of a pre-fab device that may work better.
Power is not a problem. 12 volts will be my VCC for the pulse,120 VAC for the lifting motor..
I hope I have been clear in my description of the cycle and what I need to make it function.
Thank you for any help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Google "useless box". I think we just found an application for it.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Roughly what is the weight of the target and how quickly must it be reset?

Rapidrob

Sep 12, 2016
The target weighs 100 pounds. The gear motor's 90 Volt DC power supply is adjustable for torque,speed and max current. I'm hoping the drive will do a lifting/at rest cycle in three to four seconds. I'm also going through a number 40 chain reduction to increase torque as well.

Rapidrob

Sep 12, 2016
I got the target working 100%. I had to ad a TDR to keep driving the target upright in order to allow the nodes to dissipate. The target resets in one second,and holds the target in place for 2.5 seconds to stop it trying to fall backwards. The target and stand weighs 250 pounds total. It can withstand any center fire rifle cartridge at 100 yards with no damage to the AR500 target.
The stand drive sits behind the impact berm,Only the target itself is viable to the shooter.
The target was inexpensive to build with many parts used from ebay or salvaged from scrapped appliances. The drive motor and AR500 targets were the greatest expense.
Total out of pocket was less than 250 bucks.

Last edited: