Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio bleed from shared power supply

casey73

Apr 28, 2015
I'm brand new here. Very briefly, I'm familiar with basic analog electronics with most of experience is in the area of designing and building vacuum tube guitar amplifiers and solid state guitar effects pedals. But, I've come across a challenge in a large, somewhat unfamiliar project that I'd like a second opinion (or more) on.

I'm close to completing a "play console" for my two young grandsons, 18 months, and 3 years old. They love turning on switches and things that make noise. So I built a small angled console with lots of LED's, switches and noise making devices. These devices include: Atari punk console, a 555 timer 12 note "organ", an electronic siren, and a surplus 1 minute timer with flashing LEDs and piezo.

Since all of these generate enough output to drive a small speaker or piezo device I decided to tie them together via a simple BJT (2n2222) 4 channel mixer and then into a 1 watt TDA7052 power amp chip and then to small 8 ohm speaker. Upon testing I encountered two issues.

Devices not connected to the mixer can be heard through the amp output, not loudly but they are there. And, the output of several devices is seriously attenuated through the mixer. The power supply is 6 D cells in series for 9 volts.

In tube guitar amps, the practice of decoupling amplification stages using resistors and capacitors in the power supply is used to prevent low frequency oscillation between stages. In this project I'm feeding each device directly off the battery power supply. Is this possibly the reason I'm getting cross talk even when the output of the individual circuits is not connected to the mixer?

And is it possible I'm loosing signal via the active mixer I built? I was going to use a JFET mixer as they have a higher impedance, but went with the 2n2222 instead because i had all the parts i needed on hand.

Before diving in to make changes can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to electronicspoint.

It is good practice to decouple the power supply between the different sources of noise. An inductor in series plus a capacitor in parallel typically work well.
untitled-png.19887

noise1...noise3 are representative for the noise generating modules. The values of the capacitors and inductors are not critical in your case. Be sure to use sufficiently thick wire for the power supply to ensure low impedance even if the current consumption isn't that high.

Also show us a schematic of your mixer so we can try to identify the source of the crosstalk.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    66 KB · Views: 216

casey73

Apr 28, 2015
mixer.JPG

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any inductors laying around so I will sub a small value resistor first. If that doesn't work I'll find some online. The mixer is straight out of the old Radio Shack Forrest Mims books.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You can test whether the crosstalk comes from the mixer or the power supply by disconnecting an audio source from the mixer (instead of just turning the volume down).
If, for example, you hear noise from source A while R1 is turned down, disconnect source A from the mixer but leave it attached to the power supply. Do you still hear noise from A? Then crosstalk comes via the power supply. If not, power supply is o.k. and crosstalk comes from the circuit construction.