Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Assistance connecting electonic kick drum to drum machine

eRory

Sep 20, 2014
Hello All, I'm trying to expand my old electric drum kit with a new (better) kick drum, however, they are incompatible and I was hoping to make a project box that gets the new pedal triggering the drum module correctly. I'll try and describe the problem as clearly as possible, I am only semi-elecro-literate but have put together simple circuits before.

The new kick drum trigger is a piezoelectric pickup, so I guess the harder you hit the kick-drum the higher the voltage generated.

new_input.jpg

The old drum pedal trigger is a mechanically operated variable resistance switch. When the pedal is pushed gently the switch closes further down a resistance track closing the switch with more electrical resistance which the module interprets as a quieter volume. As you increase the force on the pedal, the switch gets closed further up the resistance tracks causing less resistance which tells the module to play a louder kick-drum sound. (There is a current running through this switch from the drum module)

old_input.jpg

old_switch.jpg

Can anyone think of a simple circuit that I could plug in between the new kick-drum and the old drum module, please? I would imagine it would need some way of adjusting sensitivity too?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

That's an interesting problem. I will do some web research and get back to you.

Thanks for giving such a clear and detailed description of the problem. It's a welcome change from many of the requests we get.

In the meantime it may be helpful for us to know where you are (there's a place in your profile for this), and what electronic component supplier(s) you prefer to use.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Also, can you provide the make and model number for both pedals please.

eRory

Sep 20, 2014
Hi there and thank you :)

The new Kick Pad is the Roland V-Drums KD-9

The old drum set is the Roland HD-3 V-Drums lite

I will need to get the parts mail ordered from Maplin as I wont be in the UK again until Christmas

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
I found a helpful Wikipedia page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_V-Drums. Please have a look at it and let me know if it tells you anything that sounds useful.

According to that article, the HD-3 "brain" (drum sound module) uses a custom connection to all the pads and pickups. Are you using the HD-3 drum sound module with your new kit? Or do you have a third party sound module? If it's third party, what's the make and model?

Am I right in thinking that the old resistance trigger was actually part of the kick pedal, but the new piezo pickup is in a pad that is hit by the batter?

Does the old kick pedal have an individual part number on it?

Edit: more questions:

That Wikipedia page mentions "mono" and "stereo" pads. Does this refer to the type of plug that goes into the sound module? So for example a hi-hat trigger that has a pedal pressure/position sensor and a hit sensor would need a stereo (tip-ring-sleeve) plug, while a kick or tom pickup would only need a mono (tip-sleeve) plug?

Can you list some common models of sound modules that work with piezo pickups? So I can try to find technical information and schematics on them, so I can see how they deal with the signal from the piezo.

Last edited: