Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Arduino Board for coil winding machine, any code out there?

dynamo

Dec 2, 2016
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of any open source code for the Arduino to assist in any manner for winding coils?
For example, a stepper controller, revolution counter, number of feet of wire used, coil width/diameter inputs, AWG input, things like that.
I'm using a DC motor now but would like to upgrade to a stepper, possibly with encoder.
I'd hate to write code from scratch if there is already something that's even partially usable out there already.
Thanks anyone!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Started the build of the same thing for ignition HV generator coils.
Nowhere near finished yet, mainly just the basic layout with frames, guides, leadscrew etc built.
There are a few different ones out there but none really suited my needs but good for info.
One can pick bits and pieces from all over.
Plan with mine is speed controlled DC motor/gearbox for the spindle and a stepper to drive the feed mechanism to and fro at pre-set amounts and speed. The latter to match both the DC motor/gearbox speed and the wire gauge.
An LCD counter off the spindle drive to shut off the drive when count is up.
As it is sort of custom built I will have to eventually program up an Arduino but no time at present.

See if I can round up some of the sites I looked at and post them back here for you.

dynamo

Dec 2, 2016
Fantastic, thanks Bluejets!
I have an old 110Vdc gear motor kicking around so used that with a PWM speed controller, selector switch for FWD/REV and a foot switch from X-Mas tree lights to start/stop in case of a snag.
It would be nice to be able to run it "hands free" so, as yourself, a stepper would be adequate for the "to and fro" of the wire across the coils.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Large motor like that is a bit extreme . I used a dc gearmotor ( 6 v) off Ebay for about $15 and an old computer power supply. Speed regulated via another Ebay purchased pwm controller. (keeps programming to a minimum) Spindle only needs to turn maybe a max of 5 revs/ sec and no real load given it is through the gearbox. Pulses aquired for the Arduino via a slot opto on the spindle shaft.

dynamo

Dec 2, 2016
Large motor like that is a bit extreme . I used a dc gearmotor ( 6 v) off Ebay for about $15 and an old computer power supply. Speed regulated via another Ebay purchased pwm controller. (keeps programming to a minimum) Spindle only needs to turn maybe a max of 5 revs/ sec and no real load given it is through the gearbox. Pulses aquired for the Arduino via a slot opto on the spindle shaft.
Sure it is extreme but...
1) I had it on-hand, a freebie :cool:
2) I run it with 24Vdc @ 5A (also on-hand) so it is spinning at approx. 1/4 of max (it is rated 110Vdc)
3) I use a PWM controller ($5 from Aliexpress) good for 5 Amps or more, can't recall. So it will spin low to high RPM with good torque
4) I am winding large diameter coils, e.g. 3" to 12" diameter or higher with 18 to 26 AWG magnet wire so it has enough torque that when I need to tighten (i.e.pull back on the feed wire) the windings for some reason, it does not bog down.
Nothing wrong with "over-designing", IMHO, especially when you are working with what's on-hand.
Thanks again, I will add more to this thread as I start coding.
Now, to get my hands on a stepper and linear slide...
:)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I used 8mm guide rails and linear bearings as that is the smallest commercial size I could find. Could have made them myself but as it turns out they are relatively cheap. Bought from Banggood online. You can get complete kit of parts including feed screws. Minimum pitch was 2mm which was way too course for me so I make my own there with 8 mm shaft at 1 mm pitch. The former 2 mm are 2 or 3 start thread so if you have a large loading like yours then these would be ideal. Lead screw followers are included with the shaft for around $6 so cheap as and not bad quality either.

dynamo

Dec 2, 2016
Thanks Bluejets, I was going to look at a local bearing supplier, didn't think of ordering from China but hey, if the price is right, why not?
Thank you for the tips, much obliged!