Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anyone created a database to cross reference schematics, articles, etc?

royalmp2001

May 20, 2014
Hi everyone,
I have a huge quantity of pdf magazines and books and want to make searching for something easier.

Has anyone put together a database referencing schematics and articles, and what was the tool and way of doing it?

Am thinking of using libreoffice base, or ms access, or even memento db and creating jpg's of every circuit and linking them each to a db record detailing the magazine or book it came from together with other searchable info.... so that eventually I could search, for instance, for any circuit that is a schmitt trigger using mosfets, or power supply circuit that uses a partucular integrated circuit, etc etc.

This is a huge task, I know. Wonder if anyone went down this route, how they did it, and what the result turned out like.
Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The real answer is full text searching of the articles.

If you want to photograph each page, then do an image to text conversion of each article (each page may be sufficient), then load the text into some full text searching engine it should do the trick.

There image to text can be done very quickly (and surprisingly accurately) with Google docs.

The capture of the information is the largest and most boring part, the rest is pretty easy these days.

Unfortunately, there is a real problem with copyright.