Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Android Device overheating due to Capacitors

adamjohnson

Oct 14, 2016
Hello Community!

to start i work for a POS company which is trying to resolve an issue with a PC Device similar to a tablet. To start i know nothing about circuit boards and its components which is why i need help! i will try to answer any follow up questions as best as i can. Our client have over 1000 of these devices in there locations and are located in a hot topical country with high humidity. To add to that there business is HOT with lots of ovens and grills and the temperature can range for 40-50 degree F with high humidity. These PC devices seem to failing after extended use. while the manufacture claims the devices are rated for 50 F they are still failing. The manufacture is telling us that if they replace the capacitors in the device it will resolve the issue. Of course though if they replace these capacitors the client will have to shoulder the burden of paying for it and they are planning on buying hundreds more.

i know im providing very limited information but any sort of information to point me in the right direction would be most appreciated. My question is this.....

1) is this a possibility for resolving our problem? can a change to the capacitor resolve issues related to high temperatures?
2) If im looking for a second opinion do i need to find an electrical engineer?

thanks in advance!!! and sorry if i posted in the wrong section!

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
To add to that there business is HOT with lots of ovens and grills and the temperature can range for 40-50 degree F with high humidity. These PC devices seem to failing after extended use. while the manufacture claims the devices are rated for 50 F they are still failing.

50 F is pretty cold. did you really mean 50F or 50C ?

1) is this a possibility for resolving our problem? can a change to the capacitor resolve issues related to high temperatures?

really, it could be a myriad of things ... without temperature controlled testing conditions, it's any-ones guess

Dave

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Electrolytic capacitors have a temperature rating, 85C or 105C.
If the faulty capacitors are 85C then 105C capacitors will help but the temperature should be kept as low as possible.