Maker Pro
Maker Pro

alternate/better commutator brushes on a motor

Shehroz

Apr 29, 2015
Hi
I am using paint-brush-like (metallic) brushes on a rotating coil as a connection for current path. Problem is if I connect the other ends of the brush to the ammeter, the readings are pretty noisy. I believe that as the motor runs, the brushes get disconnected at some point. Can anybody suggest a better connection to the current path?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If you are picking up off of the coil itself, probabally spring copper that would span a couple or more conductors.
M.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Minder's idea would probably last longer, but I'm kind of wondering why you're just not using the standard carbon brushes used in most motors?
Is this some specialized application?

Shehroz

Apr 29, 2015
Minder's idea would probably last longer, but I'm kind of wondering why you're just not using the standard carbon brushes used in most motors?
Is this some specialized application?

Yes, i wound up a coil on a small ball point cap-sized cylinder. The connections to the coil are very sensitive to motion.

Shehroz

Apr 29, 2015
If you are picking up off of the coil itself, probabally spring copper that would span a couple or more conductors.
M.

Could you elaborate on how would I be taking off connections from a moving coil wound on a small cylinder, through springs?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Not springs, spring copper strip.
More info is needed on the exact nature of the commutator, when you say from coils, I envisaged these brushes you were using were contacting some bare turns?
The copper strip would be held tension' ed flat inline with the motion of the coils.
M.

Shehroz

Apr 29, 2015
Not springs, spring copper strip.
More info is needed on the exact nature of the commutator, when you say from coils, I envisaged these brushes you were using were contacting some bare turns?
The copper strip would be held tension' ed flat inline with the motion of the coils.
M.

The coil's ends are soldered to the copper tape already. These two things are located on a rotating small cylinder. The brushes are in contact with the copper tape. When the rotor moves, the contact of the brushes often gets lost since the speed is high and the brushes are just placed on the tape. I hope I'm conveying the problem properly. Do you get the whole setup now?