Maker Pro
Maker Pro

advertise own websites

GSMelectronics.co.uk

Sep 10, 2011
hi all are we permitted to advertise our own websites here as it gives you a backlink it will do wonders for those who need more backlinks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Aside from one gratuitous mention in an introductory thread (as long as it's not advertising), we would tend to prefer you restrict links to when they provide an answer to a direct question asked.

You have already exceeded this somewhat in having your domain as your user id.

And now you've brought yourself to the attention of the moderators...

Relax. :) It's not like we've not seen your posting history.

We try to keep things very non-commercial here, and pretty much any commercial advertising is going to be removed (typically it's a reflex delete as spam and ban poster). Where people have a posting history we take that into account -- we still may delete the message though, but you may get a warning rather than an instant ban.

The basic rule of thumb is that if it is reasonable that a disinterested third party would have posted your message then it's not spam but a welcome addition.

If you've done a bit of googling you may have found that this site seems to be very frequently indexed by Google. It presumably does this either because we get very high page rank, or because Ian is married to Larry's sister. I suspect the former. If it is the former, then we owe that at least in part to the links on our pages being highly relevant. As such, backlinks are probably less important than relevance.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Steve pretty much summed everything up with regards to Electronics Point, but I thought it may be worth mentioning that links posted on here may not have any effect for backlinks anyway. Many links posted on the forum use something called "nofollow" which causes them to be downplayed compared to normal links by Google - they recommend using this on user generated content.

...or because Ian is married to Larry's sister. I suspect the former.

Haha, I'll have to ask Becky if she has any famous relatives ;).