Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A Special Place In Hell For Yahoo

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
For the last few months Yahoo has been reminding me that they're upgrading their email client and all of us will be sooooo impressed with with our new email. The last time they did this my wife and I begged them to give us back the "Classic" version, which they did. This time I don't think it's going to happen.

The new and improved "Advanced" version overtaxes my processor to the point of complete seizure! Sometimes I can't even close the page conventionally. No, I have kill it in the task mgr.

I loath them but I'm stuck with the POS!

News flash just in from my wife. She just tried sending her first email with the new version. Her processor shot up to 100% and locked up the machine!

Damn I hope those flames are hot down there!!

Chris

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
I am with you 100%. They should all be exterminated.

My provider moved me (and millions of others) from their email server to Yahoo. It was hyped as an "improvement".

Somebody told me that the fire in hell is seven times hotter than fire as we understand it.

Still not as hot as Yahoo deserve. And being there for a mere eternity is letting them off lightly.

Last edited:

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Amen brother! Is your provider ATT or Bell South (same thing)?

Chris

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
I live in England, so have neither of those options.

I pay for Sky Broadband - and they give us this garbage.

Wouldn't mind if it was a free service, but I am paying good money to be treated like dirt.

As an added bonus my mail software spends 99% of it's time downloading advertising, and only 1 of it's time downloading my mail. And of course there is no option to turn off or cancel the advertising either!

And I pay money to Sky for this! How stupid am I ?? !!

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Do yahoo provide POP3 or IMAP? (I'm sure they provide the former)

If so, use your own local mail client.

If you regularly check mail from multiple locations (read PCs) then you need to use IMAP or things will get confusing.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
They'll only provide POP3 if you pay for their Yahoo Plus. I have another email account through my ISP Bell South. About two years ago BS informed me that the web mail would be taken over by yahoo. That account is painless because the mail is downloaded to OE so I don't have to go near Yahoo to get my Bell South mail.

The issues with yahoo go deeper than the mail. I stopped reading their news a year ago. If I click on one of their poorly written news links my processor goes nuts there too!

Chris

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Although you have to pay for POP3 access, the IMAP page doesn't seem to mention that you require Yahoo Plus :D.

Try giving these IMAP settings a go in OE and see if that works - hopefully you'll be in luck :)

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page....TwoUIFunpf0otcYLHIXRt144ChwECVBgMqBG05m20Yvw--

You can access your Yahoo! Mail from another email client or your mobile device using IMAP.
Use these settings when configuring IMAP:

• Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Outgoing Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Incoming Port: 993 with SSL
  • Outgoing Port: 465 with SSL or port 587 with SSL/TLS
    -It is necessary to enable SSL or TLS for Outgoing SMTP port.
  • Username: full email address (for example, [email protected])
  • Password: the password you use to sign in to your Yahoo! Account

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I continually couldn't 'sign-out' of my yahoo acct, they kept feeding me a screen saying
they had to have a secondary account listed, in case I ever lost my password. I got fed-up
and mistakenly gave them my daughter's yahoo address as the 'savior' acct.
I immediately got duplicates of my daughter's hundreds of SPAM msgs.
Putting her on my 'account password backup', made me the target of all HER spammers.
NOW, I'm unable to close my yahoo page because I 'need' to give them my 'profile'
with a picture of me.
yahoo might be getting more money now from advertisers who send me spam, but
I'm about ready to abandon them for gmail.
I know a lot of people who hate gmail, but they don't get nearly as much spam as
I'm getting from yahoo.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Ian, thank you for the IMAP tip and link. It just might be the ticket.

By the way, you're kinda like the Invisible Man. Rarely seen but always there. :cool:

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I continually couldn't 'sign-out' of my yahoo acct, they kept feeding me a screen saying
they had to have a secondary account listed, <snip>

I miss the days when I used Bigfoot forwarding service. It began as a smooth running service but morphed into a royal pita, until it folded. Zone Alarm began as a free and stellar app but mutated into resource sucking BLOATWARE that you pay for!

Chris

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I use gmail, accessed using imap from Thunderbird. I very seldom see any spam, and my gmail address is all over the web. It seems to work pretty well actually.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Heh. Call up your ISP and tell them that you have a new email address that you would like them to use for all official contact (a GMail account).

Explain to them that the one they provide is unusable.

It would be amusing to hear their response.