Maker Pro
Maker Pro

50 Channel strain sensor

Fieryfire

Feb 14, 2017
Hello guys,

I have a project that requires that I have a sensor network with 50 sensors that are to be converted to adc and preferably sent via wireless packets to a cloud. It's relatively simple I guess but could anyone kindly help me to decide the best possible approach to go about this project. It will be really helpful. Thank you

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
There are several methods. Depending on how far apart the sensors are located.
If the sensors are widely distributed, you could use 50 single channel adcs with an rf transmitter associated to each.
If the sensors are close together, you could use a 50-to-1 multiplexer plus a single channel adc. Or 2*25-to-1 multiplexer plus a 2 channel adc or any other combination. Using a multiplexer means you can sample the sensors only sequentially. If you need to sample simultaneously you can add a sample and hold circuit in front of the multiplexer.

There are so many possibilities. You'd have to post more details about your project for us to be able to judge what's a meaningful solution. There is no best possible approach" as every method has its pros and cons and you'll have to trade in one for the other.