Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3D Printed Smart Watch Bluetooth/UART Guidance

willz1200

Sep 3, 2014
Hey Everyone,

Over the past month or so I have been designing an Atmel/Arduino powered smart watch, the reason I am posting here is to request feedback and guidance on its programming interface and the watch in general, the watch will be Bluetooth enabled, have an oled screen and a five way joystick. My concern is whether I should allow it to be programmed over Bluetooth or have an FTDI or other USB to UART chip on board (the watch will have Bluetooth regardless). I have achieved arudino programming over bluetooth in other projects, it just requires Bluetooth to virtual com port drivers and a small reset circuit. So basically all I ask is your opinion on whether I should make the watch programmable over Bluetooth or using the UART, as I am having trouble deciding.

A few solutions I thought of:
- Bluetooth and reset circuit only
- Pads available on the circuit board for the user to add reset components if they want to program it over Bluetooth
- adding a USB to UART chip for wired programming
- using an AVR with two serial lines so both can be used without the need of a header to switch modes

Here is a YouTube video I made with lots more detail if your interested in the watch, check the description for an overview and specs:

Thank You,
Will

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Will and welcome to Electronics Point.

Electronics Point has a no-spam policy that we police aggressively. The video you linked to in your post is of a promotional nature so I have removed it and closed this thread until the moderators have decided whether or not to allow it.

In the meantime you have an opportunity to apply your talents to answering questions in the forums.

Regards

KrisBlueNZ

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thread reopened

Will ...

keep it technical ... nothing promotional

cheers
Dave