Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3 Switches circuit

SINASINA

Sep 19, 2018
Hello
I am a graphic designer and not really good at electronics but for a project I have to make a circuit. I thought maybe you could help me. Sorry if the question is dumb.
I have 3 switches. Each of them are attached to a lamp (Red, Blue, and Green). I want at least 2 lamps to be always ON. For example, all of them are ON. We push the blue one off. Then if we push the red one off, the blue one gets on automatically. Therefore, the circuit do not let less than one lamp to be off.
Thank you so much and I hope it was clear.
Cheers

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Bienvenue a Electronics Point.

This could be done with discrete logic, but nowadays the most practical solution would be a microcontroller (e.g. an arduino) with:
  • pushbuttons connected to the arduino as inputs
  • a bit of software to evaluate the states of the lamps and the pushbuttons to decide which lamps need to be on and which lamps should be off
  • a driver shield (an input/output board connected to the arduino, these are called shields) to power the lamps

Salut
Harald

SINASINA

Sep 19, 2018
Thanks for the help Harald. I have already looked into Arduino a little bit. seems I have to start playing around with that.
cheers

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
THe first step is to define the logic for each of 3 switch logic OFF transitions to check which if any needs to be turned on. This needs a binary count of the current state of how many are ON and which are off then a logical function to set the output of any output. Also an intial condition must be defined.