Maker Pro
Maker Pro

2N6059 obsolete

G

George Herold

Jan 1, 1970
Hi guys, Our purchasing 'guy' just told me the 2N6059 (npn Darlington in aTO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told himto grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

George H.

Hi guys, Our purchasing 'guy' just told me the 2N6059 (npn Darlington ina TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told him to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3?I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

How flexible is your PCB design? If i were you, i would take out the little Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-3 (i think everybody know that one!).

L

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Jan 1, 1970
Den tirsdag den 5. november 2013 18.18.58 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:
Hi guys, Our purchasing 'guy' just told me the 2N6059 (npn Darlington ina TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told him to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3?I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

George H.

Newark has two part numbers (nte/multicomp) so ~400 in stock, and lists
2N6284 as a direct replacement digikey also have that one in stock

-Lasse

G

George Herold

Jan 1, 1970
How flexible is your PCB design? If i were you, i would take out the little Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-3 (i think everybody know that one!).

Hi Edward.. the design is from the (~1990's) I would rather not have to redo it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have to redo the whole thing.) Maybe I'd just try a FET today. I could shoe horn inmy own darlington.. I guess. Well we'll buy 100 and put it off for several years.
What's the standard TO-3 work horse? Sorry I don't know.

George H.

S

sms

Jan 1, 1970
Hi guys, Our purchasing 'guy' just told me the 2N6059 (npn Darlington in a TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told him to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

George H.

The lower current Darlingtons don't come in a TO-3 so the 2N6284 is
probably your best bet. There are some higher current ones available as
well.

G

George Herold

Jan 1, 1970
Den tirsdag den 5. november 2013 18.18.58 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:

Newark has two part numbers (nte/multicomp) so ~400 in stock, and lists

2N6284 as a direct replacement digikey also have that one in stock
Thanks Lasse..sorry I must be getting lazy.

George H.

Hi Edward.. the design is from the (~1990's) I would rather not have to redo it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have to redo the whole thing.)

TO-3 layout should have a large copper area for cooling. There should be enough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look around, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to reworkit from Gerber files, rather than the original program.
Maybe I'd just try a FET today. I could shoe horn in my own darlington..I guess. Well we'll buy 100 and put it off for several years.

What's the standard TO-3 work horse? Sorry I don't know.

I guess i am dating myself. 2N3055 was available long before 2N6059. You are probably too young to know 2N3055 projects.

TO-3 layout should have a large copper area for cooling. There should beenough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look around, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to rework it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

PS: If you send me the Gerber files, i'll do it.
I guess i am dating myself. 2N3055 was available long before 2N6059. You are probably too young to know 2N3055 projects.

PPS: 2N3055 ($1.50) are still actively being designed and made. Adding a MMBT2222 ($0.05) should still be much cheaper than 2N6059 (>$3.00?).

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 10:21:01 -0800 (PST), [email protected]

2N3055 will probably be made almost forever.

You must be as old as me. I remember arguing with someone that it does notmake sense to add the little Darling in the heavy power semi device and double the cost. I argued against 2N6059. I guess it takes decades to settle it.

S

Spehro Pefhany

Jan 1, 1970
TO-3 layout should have a large copper area for cooling. There should be enough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look around, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to rework it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

2N3055 will probably be made almost forever.

--sp

G

George Herold

Jan 1, 1970
PS: If you send me the Gerber files, i'll do it.

Wow! No, no, I'd just have 'em air wire in a little npn. The 2N6059 sits on a back panel heat sink so it wouldn't be that much of a issue.
PPS: 2N3055 ($1.50) are still actively being designed and made. Adding aMMBT2222 ($0.05) should still be much cheaper than 2N6059 (>$3.00?).

Grin, we sell in the 10-20 per year range... price is not much of an issue until it gets near ~$100.

Thanks for the generosity.
George H.

C

Cydrome Leader

Jan 1, 1970
TO-3 layout should have a large copper area for cooling. There should be enough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look around, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to rework it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

how long has the 2n3055 been around?

I know I got the last one I needed from Radio Shack- yeah, they stock
these in some of the stores.

If it's externally mounted, easy enough to change to TO-220. You don't really need the TO-3 housing for 4A to 5A. If it's on PCB, a little more difficult.
You could make a little board that soldered onto the pins of the 2N3055
and provided the "darling" little transistor. You'd need a collector
connection, but that could be provided by a lug and a flying lead.

Or cut off the top of the can and put in a doom skylight. Cut the base wire and re-route it to the little Darling (2N2222). There might even be enough room to put in an LED.

I'll find my 3055 and see how difficult that would be.

Wikipedia:
"The transistor is the fundamental building block of modern electronic devices, and is ubiquitous in modern electronic systems. Following its development in 1947 by John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley, the transistor revolutionized the field of electronics, and paved the way for smaller and cheaper radios, calculators, and computers, among other things. Thetransistor is on the list of IEEE milestones in electronics, and the inventors were jointly awarded the 1956 Nobel Prize in Physics for their achievement."
Yes they did - I burned my fingwr with a 2N3055
in 1967.

I burn my ears with 2N3055. They are mostly used for audio power amps and linear regulators.

George H.

Seems like the manu's are dropping the TO-3 package more than anything else.. NTE will be making the NTE247 forever, same part.

Seems like the manu's are dropping the TO-3 package more than anything else. NTE will be making the NTE247 forever, same part.

NTE247 are not available from Digikey or Mouser; so, that pretty much rule it out for serious prototypes or designs. OTOH, 2N3055 are available from D, M, and eBay for a $1. If you search more carefully, you can get them for 50 cents. 2N3055 are forever.

NTE247 are not available from Digikey or Mouser; so, that pretty much rule it out for serious prototypes or designs. OTOH, 2N3055 are available from D, M, and eBay for a $1. If you search more carefully, you can get them for 50 cents. 2N3055 are forever.

So is a 1 ohm resistor but it's not the 2N6059. Newark, among others, distributes NTE. NTE is aftermarket, so it costs, but it's still way cheaper than keeping unused inventory, or any of your insane ideas.