Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v constant and 12v ignition together

SDZ007

Sep 10, 2014
Hi.. i just wired up a boost gauge in my car. It had 3 wires, earth, 12v constant and 12v ignition.

What i did was wire the 12v ignition and 12v constant together and tapped it into a 12v ignition source so it only comes on when key is turned.

My issue is this gauge has a choice of different colour leds. The 12v constant was needed for memory so the next time the car starts it will display the colour you wanted.

Can i just piggy back off of the 12v ignition and 12v constant wire and tap into a 12v constant source even tho i have already connected them to a 12v ignition source ? Or will that just give me 12v constant and override the wire connected to the 12v ignition

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
But won't this power up your ignition? A word of warning, this thread might get banned if you don't connect the unit as per the manufactures instruction. Giving any advice which may effect the operation of a motor vehicle is not allowed on this Forum. I recommend you install it as it was intended to be installed by the manufacture.
Thanks
Adam

SDZ007

Sep 10, 2014
All good. Will just re wire to spec.

It all works fine as is, just the memory function doesnt because the 12v constant is wired into 12v switched

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Tying the +12V lines together can cause some damage and odd behavior if done on the automotive side of the wiring. Doing this on the accessory side only will result in memory issues, or the device always being powered on depending on which wire on the automotive side you connect them too.
If you are familiar enough with the circuits in use, there are work-arounds, but only if the manufacturer instructions are incomplete, or incompatible with your application. In which case this is usually for good reason, and alternative products should be looked at.

This can be learned from electronics personnel, mechanics, and automotive stereo installers.