Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v 5A to 12v 10A

Nael

Oct 12, 2016
Hi

I have a bench power supply which max output is 5A, I need to make a circuit that gives me 10A output. ( voltage will be 12v )

Can someone tell me exactly how to do this circuit with component readings, which I can convert 12v 5A to 12v 10A!

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
which I can convert 12v 5A to 12v 10A!
Impossible! Output power can never be greater than input power.

What you can do is use 2 12 V / 5 A power supplies in parallel to get 12 V / 10 A. You need to ensure that the power supplies are capable of being used in parallel - not every power supply is. You may have to add some kind of current sharing control (e.g. resistors). Read more e.g. here.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Thank you, @Harald Kapp, for the link to an excellent resource on current sharing among multiple power supplies. Unfortunately, based on the OP's misconception that a 12V 5A power supply can somehow be magically "converted" to a 12V 10A power supply with just a few additional components, the methods described in the link are probably going to go way over their head. A possibly "better" solution: buy another bench power supply capable of 12 V 10A output. Maybe figure out later how to parallel it with the one you already have to make a 12V 15A power supply... just in case you need the additional current.:D

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Based on OP's other topic this is presumably to power a 10A (peak) air pump/compressor, most probably just a brushed DC motor design. A higher current bench supply might come in handy over the long term but for this application something much less expensive could be used.

For example, landscape lighting transformer plus bridge rectifier and capacitor (if the old school AC type), ATX power supply, generic 12VDC switchmode PSU marketed for LED applications (example: https://www.amazon.com/Padarsey-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer/dp/B06WPBF494 ), portable power pack jumpstarter (or SLA battery alone), automotive battery charger, or just do it the easy way and buy a 110VAC powered tire pump.

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
A notice to OP - assuming the question is based on a misconception as mention:
What you're asking for is pretty much the same as asking how to put something into the transmission system of your car that make your 70bhp engine so it can deliver 140bhp.
btw - nowdays where we have these hybrid cars, this sentence contradicts the whole purpose it originally had.

If question is NOT a misconception: Yes there is possible to add a large capacitor to the system, that is slowly charged to a higher voltage, but capable to flush out current for very short periods of time when current consumption goes above a given threshold.

Nael

Oct 12, 2016
Thank you everyone, a question related, what if I have 2 wall adapters, each 12v 5A, and I connect them in parallel, like +to+ -to- ! Do wall adapters work in parallel?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It would be easier to just stab yourself in the eye with a fork if you're really this much of a masochist.:p

You're inflating tires. This is something your grandfather nailed decades ago.