110VAC to 130VDC motor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by MidwestExpress, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Hey Everyone,

I have a project where I am building a 2x72" belt grinder. I have a perfectly good 130VDC, 4.25HP, 3170w motor to use. It came from a treadmill. My problem... how to power and then how to control.

What I want is to power it as well as control the speed of it. I could buy an $800 electronic power converter with variable speed capabilities, but one... that is more than I am willing to spend, and two... what is the fun of just buying something when you can build something! :-D

I have been out of major electronic projects such as this for a long while and I am looking for some ideas of how I can run this motor safely and for 45 min to an 1 hour at a time.

All ideas are greatly appreciated!

upload_2018-1-16_18-59-55.png

MidwestExpress, Jan 17, 2018
  2. MidwestExpress

Minder

That is a fairly hefty motor, if running off of 120vac you will need a 30amp outlet.
    One cheap way may be a Triac controller similar to used on Universal motor power tools, but with a 30a min. bridge on the output,
    Remove the flywheel if fitted.
    Ensure the rpm pot is at zero when first powering up.
    M.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Minder, Jan 17, 2018
    MidwestExpress likes this.
  3. MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/T3050H-6I/497-10584-5-ND/2294982

What would the schematic look like?

MidwestExpress, Jan 17, 2018
  4. MidwestExpress

duke37

The motor is labelled P.M.D.C so is likely to be a permanent magnet DC motor.The only way of controlling the speed is by controlling the voltage.

The speed is not given and could be very fast ot very slow. I doubt if the speed of a belt grinder is critical. Try the motor on 12V and see what speed you get, then work out a voltage to get the speed you want.

A transformer with a bridge rectifier is about the minimum circuit possible. A slow start with a resistor and relay shorting it out will do this or a thermistor of suitable rating.

duke37, Jan 17, 2018
  5. MidwestExpress

Minder

There are many if you Google, look for Triac controller with bridge.
    With this type of control I would ensure no flywheel and always start with pot at zero.
    In the DWG size the power components accordingly.
    M.
    upload_2018-1-17_9-44-20.gif

Minder, Jan 17, 2018
    Harald Kapp likes this.
  6. MidwestExpress

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Germany-Europe-Earth-Sol System-Milky Way-Laniakea
    May I add that you should add an EMI suppression filter on the mains side? A triac controlled circuit in that power range is sure to create a lot of EMI otherwise.

Harald Kapp, Jan 17, 2018
Ask a Question