Maker Pro
Maker Pro

100 Amp Variable Buck Converter

Marco Fisico

Aug 23, 2017
I have been trying to create/purchase a 100amp variable buck converter.

I am wanting to regulate voltage from a 22.2v nominal, 25.6 v max LIPO battery. I would like to have the voltage infinitely adjustable anywhere between 3.6v and 20v. 1 output is sufficient.

I have tried looking into many different buck converters that are within range for my input voltage, but the highest amp rating I could find is 20 Amps. It doesn't seem like any such pre-built component exists. Automotive components that can handle higher amperage, like 60-100amps, are all 12v input based, and usually only up to 2 output voltages, 3.6v and 5v.

I've looked into Linear voltage regulators, but they are horrendously inefficent when bucking voltage more than a few volts below input. Not to mention the massive heat dissipation that would be required to regulate 25.6v to 3.6v.

Is there any such component that exist that can perform this task? Or is there a few components that can be wired in parallel to achieve 100 amps? I recognize designing and building an efficient, custom buck converter would be extremely complex, and probably cost quite a lot to research and perfect.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The usual method is to parallel their operation as the difficulty is finding the ferrite cores that won't saturate under such loads. AFAIK no one manufactures cores that are big enough to cope in one go - with the potential currents involved, a single-core solution sounds dangerous anyway. Multi-core (parallel) operation at least allows for redundancy in case of module failure etc.