Connect with us

Zener diode as volt dropping resistor??

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by popscan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. popscan

popscan

Nov 8, 2015
    I have a DC power supply that puts out 110 DC volts.
    Rather than use hi power consuming resistors to drop the voltage I heard you can use a Zener diode to do the same thing. What Zener diode can drop 110 DC voltage to a DC volt value of anywhere between 73 to 90 volts??

All help appreciated.

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Welcome to EP. This is quite dangerous. If you are asking this question then what experience do you have? I am not being hard on you but we need to be cautious when someone asks this sort of question.
    Adam

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Using a Zener diode will consume exactly the same power as using a resistor when the same voltage drop is achieved at the same current.

Bob

4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I have done this on a mobile crane generator that produced 240vdc, I used a zener and a WW resistor for an economical 12v circuit supply but it is only good for very low demand circuits, otherwise the resistor required is very large and inefficient.
    M.

5. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 7, 2012
    Intersting, what do you plan to power with 75 - 90 Volts, where 110 Volts can't be used ?

Ask a Question