Maker Pro
Maker Pro

z parameters applications

socio74

Jun 7, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm a student starting in this fantastic world of electronics.
I've been ask to write a report about practical applications of the z parameters in electrical/electronic engineering (two port networks)

I have found applications of abcd/transmision parameters, s parameters and h parameters but I cannot find applications of z parameters.

Taking into account the endless applications of electronics, I would be very grateful if somebody can give me practical examples of how these parameters are used to start my research.

Regards.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Sorry I didn't see this request in a timely manner(not that it would have been much help). I deal in S parameters daily and I have found ABCD parameters useful too for converting circuit impedances into plots.

That said I honestly don't know why professors push the Z and Y parameters so hard. I have not used Z or Y parameters in practice ever! My RF mentor told me to make sure I knew S/ABCD param's and I would never look back. So far he was right.

If you look at part spec sheets they almost always give you performance in S param's(in fact I can't think of a part I have used that doesn't) But in case that day ever comes when I do have to interpret Y/Z's I have my conversion calculator ready to convert them into S param's and my world will come quickly back into alignment.

venky_499

Dec 8, 2015
These are used mostly used in filter design&
Large applications in electrical engineering

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm a student starting in this fantastic world of electronics.
I've been ask to write a report about practical applications of the z parameters in electrical/electronic engineering (two port networks)

I have found applications of abcd/transmision parameters, s parameters and h parameters but I cannot find applications of z parameters.

Taking into account the endless applications of electronics, I would be very grateful if somebody can give me practical examples of how these parameters are used to start my research.

Regards.
Strange, I Googled for z-parameters and got a quarter million hits. This is typical. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_parameters

Ratch

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Sorry I didn't see this request in a timely manner(not that it would have been much help). I deal in S parameters daily and I have found ABCD parameters useful too for converting circuit impedances into plots.

That said I honestly don't know why professors push the Z and Y parameters so hard. I have not used Z or Y parameters in practice ever! My RF mentor told me to make sure I knew S/ABCD param's and I would never look back. So far he was right.

If you look at part spec sheets they almost always give you performance in S param's(in fact I can't think of a part I have used that doesn't) But in case that day ever comes when I do have to interpret Y/Z's I have my conversion calculator ready to convert them into S param's and my world will come quickly back into alignment.

Well,
Your RF instructor was correct...
S parameters and ABCD parameters are suited for transmission lines.
That is the major thing concerning RF design/testing (impedance matching etc.)

Haven't seen a device with no S-parms in it's spec's ?
Well that is typical with guys working in RF/μWave only.
I hope you are aware that there is plenty of life outside the RF world...;)

panku

Aug 10, 2017
Anybody please tell each example of z ,y,abcd parameter examples.