Connect with us

You would think Boeing would know better

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by BobK, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Lithium Batteries Central to Boeing's 787 Woes

It's not like there has not been any press about the dangers of Li Ion batteries...

You would think Boeing would have the expertise and motivation to handle them correctly, but apparently not.

Bob

2. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Is that the one with no hydraulics? I've never go in one of those - a big enough EMP or solar flare and youre dead :p

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Yep.

Bob

4. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    There has to be hydraulics, there's no way they'd rely on servo's and other motors to do the job? ...

if you're right, i'm not going on one.....

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yep, there's hydraulics :)

The major advantages are composite structures and (I think) electrically driven hydraulic pumps rather than bleed air driven pumps.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Well, that is a relief.

But I still wonder about what they have done wrong with the LI Ion batteries. My guess is that it is actaully a software problem. Here is why.

The batteries have a problem if you charge or discharge them too fast. Charging is a no-brainer -- you can limit the charging current easily with hardware.

Discharging, on the other hand can be tricky. Suppose you detect that too much current is being drawn. What do you do? You can't just shut them down if they are needed for hydraulic pumps. So I am guessing that there is complex software to determine what happens in the case of a fault. And complex software has bugs.

Bob

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The great thing about this is that if you're interested you'll eventually be able to read about *exactly* what went wrong.

I'll certainly be on the lookout for the final report(s)

Ask a Question