Connect with us

Yonanas ice cream maker won't turn on

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by mikey5791, Apr 26, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi all,

This Yonanas brand ice cream maker was given to me at no working condition. The previous owner said it was working fine before. So i did try switch on power but it shows no life, motor not turning. So i opened it up, desoldered the 4pcs black diode marked 5408. Tested using an analog multimeter, one side anode no continuity while other side cathode has continuity. Diodes 4 pcs tested ok. The fuse at RV1 has continuity.

I ran out of idea where else to check since the power board looks clean and no burning mark whatsoever. Please kindly help to diagnose. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I would be checking the power switch, as seen in your 3rd photo, make sure it is operating

3. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi davenn,

I had checked the switch by probing multimeter on both side switch connector.when switch is off, the multimeter show no continuity.

Btw, how do i check if the motor is working and not shorted. Any idea please. Thank you for reply.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK :)
    you hadn't commented on the switch, so I thought I better ;)
    So, your response assumes you had continuity when the switch was in the on position :)

can you freely spin the motor?

does that power board feed any other electronics that I cant see from your photos ( speed controller etc) ?

5. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Yes, when the switch is on, the multimeter show continuity.
    I try manual spin the motor and it is a bit tight, but still able to spin slowly.
    I checked the wires, somehow it does connect to some sort of carbon brush switch but not sure what it is as on picture.
    The machine does not have speed controller though. Please kindly advise.

Attached Files:

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Can you measure the resistance across the motor and let us know what it is?

7. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    I wouldn't take a continuity reading from that switch as definitive proof it's working (properly). I recognise the the switch 'type' and they are quite notorious for intermittency and failure under load.

Use a crocodile clip (insulated) to physically short the switch contacts and try powering up again.

If it still doesn't work then uncover the components that are covered in heatshrink material and in line with the motor supply leads. They may be in-line chokes, small resistors or even fuses......

8. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi Steve,

Using a digital multimeter(dmm) the resistance across the motor reads 69.6 ohm. Does this reading seems normal?

9. mikey5791

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi all,

After running out of idea, i noticed i missed out on that piece of black brush like switch. This switch is like a spring type operated mechanically by locking a black plastic cup with notch to switch on.
    I tried locking the black plastic cup to the blender body and voila the motor spins after i switch on power. Haha, actually the machine works without fault in the first place. Thanks all for help.

Attached Files:

davenn and (*steve*) like this.
Ask a Question