Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Yamaha RX-V470 Fail To Power Up

Philip Moores

Sep 1, 2017
I have a RX-V470, it worked perfectly when I stored it away on a shelf. I have recently decided to make use of it. Switched it on and there was nothing. Additionally it has a JVC XL-E44 CD player attached directly to the AC outlet on the RX-V470. There is power into the unit as shown by the fact when I press the V470 ON/OFF switch it powers the JVC CD player via the AC outlet. Looking on various websites it is possible that a capacitor may be u/s. Any suggestions in tracing the fault would be welcome

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Might be multiple fuses. One for the RX-V470, and another for the output socket to the CD player.
You might want to take the cover off (with the power off), and look around inside of it.

Philip Moores

Sep 1, 2017
Might be multiple fuses. One for the RX-V470, and another for the output socket to the CD player.
You might want to take the cover off (with the power off), and look around inside of it.

The AC outlet to the CD player is live and powers the player fine. There is a fuse next to where the inlet power plug on the board, tested and it is fine. I cannot see any further fuses.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Forgive me, but we don't know what you know about troubleshooting. Did you remove that fuse and check it, or did you do it some other way? I've found it always pays to check the simplest things first, and then get down to the nitty-gritty if you still have a problem.
If that fuse is good, you have an open circuit somewhere, and as kellys_eye said, the easiest way to try to troubleshoot the problem is to have a schematic and some troubleshooting skills with a digital multi-meter.

Philip Moores

Sep 1, 2017
Forgive me, but we don't know what you know about troubleshooting. Did you remove that fuse and check it, or did you do it some other way? I've found it always pays to check the simplest things first, and then get down to the nitty-gritty if you still have a problem.
If that fuse is good, you have an open circuit somewhere, and as kellys_eye said, the easiest way to try to troubleshoot the problem is to have a schematic and some troubleshooting skills with a digital multi-meter.

I am not an electronics technician, I know my way around a multimeter, and have checked the simplest things, I have power to the on/off, which is sending power to AC outlet which in turns powers the separate CD player. With the power off, tested the fuse next to the power inlet on the circuit board which is fine. I have also used my multimeter to check the continuity of the wiring, which are all fine. A visual check of the capacitors appear to show they are ok with no bulges, splits etc. No obvious overheating damage seen.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If there are any multi-way connectors to the circuit board give them a wiggle and make sure they are seated firmly. If the unit has been in storage for a long time a connection may have oxidised.

Philip Moores

Sep 1, 2017
Thanks for that I will try that Alec_t. I have some Electrolube Contact Treatment Oil 2AX. Would it be worth using it on the connections?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
A contact 'cleaner' would be better. Spraying lube oil might get on other electrical contacts that it shouldn't.