Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Xilinx XACTstep software

mcfluffin

Sep 2, 2012
I'm working on a special project where I need to synthesize for XC2000 FPGAs. From what I read the Xilinx route is to use XACTstep pre M1 (which FWIW I have), say for example version 6.0.1 or 5.2.1, I might be interested in pointers on other vendor software that can also target XC2064 or XC2018. Interested in any pointers on how I can get synthesis up and running for them. Yes, I really know what I want and am not interested in newer FPGAs/software. Appreciate any help!

Zork

Oct 26, 2012
Hi @mcfluffin ,about the XC2000 the best option is to use a modern CPLD than do the rework on a lot of schematics (HDL languages were not popular these days).

This family has only a few logic cells, you can replace them with an modern CPLD like the Xilinx XC9500 or the Altera EPM7000, these two families can replace these very small FPGA's without the configuration rom.

Like you i am looking for these old tools, not as old as yours, but for the XC3000 family (has cost benefits), the only tool i've found of this era is the XACT 5.1.

Unfortunately it doesn't has any modern HDL syntesis tool on the package, support only schematics entry, that are provided by another software not include on the package i have, this software can run on an VMWare workstation over MS-DOS 6.22 and supports the first FPGA family XC2000.

Screenshot from a similar software i've tested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68358771@N02/8037174198/

Last edited:

mcfluffin

Sep 2, 2012
To re-iterate, *I know what I'm doing and don't want tools for newer FPGAs, its for a special project*. That said, after much searching I did manage to find a large quantity of old Xilinx software (thank you eBay) about a month ago that was sufficient to complete the project. I now have Alliance M1 series (several versions), XACTStep, WorkView office, and other software. Dongles and programmers, and a pile of chips of that age too. If you are interested in anything PM me.