Connect with us

Xbox Laptop

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by canadish, Oct 29, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. canadish

canadish

Oct 29, 2012
    Hi all, I am in the process of converting an xbox to a laptop type scenario. I have an old lcd screen, inverter, controller board. I need 12v 5a to power this. Here is some information about the power supply. This thread deals with other stuff. I see a few options for 12v connections, what I am totally unsure about is the 5a part. I am a total novice with electrical stuff and have no idea what the 5a part is. I see from power packs I have around the house, many ratings concerning the amps. Anyhow many thanks in advance for any info.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=536915

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    5A is 5 Amps, that means you want a power supply that is rated for at least that amount, extra never hurts... Not sure of your question or what you want to do... If you plan to power the screen from the Xbox power supply you are likely not going to get far, I doubt it has the extra overhead to do so... You will need a different power supply...

SOLDER BOOGERS! Yikes, should be labeled how not to do it...

Not sure what part of that link is relevant though...

3. canadish

canadish

Oct 29, 2012
    just trying to find a schematic for xbox power. I was rather hoping in ditching the dvd might provide me with some extra power, as will the 2.5 hard drive. I see possibilities of 12v, but I don't understand the 5a bit. If I were to get 12v from the dvd drive for instance, (hypothetical) what is the ampage and how would I know. Now I am looking at power relays, I have no idea how they work. I have fopund one that says 12v 5a. How would I hook one of these little gizmo's up?

Thanx

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I think you are in way over your head at this point, and I see nothing but doom and gloom if you dive into this... You need to get at minimum a basic electronics primer, as well as likely more basic electronics knowledge and understanting before you dive into this... Go Google 'current' 'voltage' 'wattage' to get you started get a grasp of what they are, how they work and how they are tied together...

Ask a Question