Maker Pro
Maker Pro

WWV TRF Receiver For Frequency Counter Calibration

wd8dsb

Apr 15, 2014
While doing a search I came across a very old Thread in this forum from 2004 called "WWV Receiver" asking about building a WWV receiver to capture the WWV carrier for instrument calibration / frequency standard. The thread kind of put a damper on the subject, but I would like to say the idea was definitely not a crazy one.

A year ago I designed and built TRF (Tuned Radio Frequency) receivers for WWV using a crystal filter followed by a MC1350P amplifier with tuned front end and broadband output followed by another crystal filter. I built receivers for both the 5 MHz and 10 MHz WWV frequency, and could not be happier with the results. While this concept does not provide as much accuracy as a GPSDO (GPS disciplined oscillator), it's traceable directly back to NIST and requires no calibration, etc. Historical data indicates accuracy of the WWV received signal on HF is typically within +/- 0.2 Hz of WWV (inaccuracy caused by Doppler shift due to the ever changing Ionosphere), and calibration of instruments within 1 Hz of WWV is very realistic.

If interested you can see my WWV TRF receivers in action in a youtube video I uploaded at

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
An interesting and nicely executed project - thanks for the offering.