Connect with us

Write Only Memory (WOM)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Arouse1973, May 15, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hi Guys
    Came across this data sheet and was wondering if you could help me with how I could have used the device? And also they don't seem to make it anymore, I wonder why? See attached data sheet.
    Thanks
    Adam

Attached Files:

2. kpatz

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
    That datasheet was written as a joke. Look at it closely, especially the footnotes.

Think about it: what's the point of a memory that can be written to but not read back?

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Actually. they're used a great deal.

Computers designed to run *nix have one as part of the hardware speedup for /dev/null. The typical PC designed for a microsoft OS doesn't have this and thus writes to /dev/null are implemented using a slower method that involves destroying the data.

If you've ever wondered why deleting files is so slow in Windows compared to on a *nix machine, this is why.

KrisBlueNZ likes this.
  4. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    No I think Steve's right, that makes perfect sense. I'll see if our IT department got some old *nix machines hanging around I wonder if there's one inside
    Adam

5. kpatz

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
    I have one in my brain. Information goes in, never to be seen again....

Arouse1973 likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    it IS written as a joke

this same one came up some months ago on this and other forums delve into it further and you will find links to those that did the prank within the company .... its all quite funny and many years later it is still catching people out when they come across it :)

Dave

7. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Ok Yeah I know, Just thought I would have a laugh, you know me. And to think you thought I believed it, I must appear real dumb then :). Apparently the guy who wrote this was so fed up of his designs taking so long to go through the system. Knowing full well no one actually read any of it. But this got through and actually made it into the brochure and customers were ringing up for pricing and all that.
    Adam

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yeah quite a laugh !! :)

As Kpatz said, the footnotes are the real first giveaway

9. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    I love the typical applications. Post mortem memories. And the fact you get a different spec device if your a slow paying customer. Brilliant. I think having a sense of humour is one of the greatest things of all time.

KrisBlueNZ likes this.
  10. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    LOL,
    INPUT PROTECTION
    All terminals are provided with slip-on latex protectors for the
    prevention of Voltage Destruction. (PILL packaged devices do not
    require protection.)

Ask a Question