Connect with us

would this be how i hook up a relay to run a fan?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by drumstick93, Nov 24, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. drumstick93

drumstick93

Jul 18, 2011
    in new to electronics and haven't used a relay yet. hope my picture makes enough sense.

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Seem right, but the diode isn't needed.

A diode is required if you switch the relay using a transistor, however it's placed in a different location to the one you show.

3. drumstick93

drumstick93

Jul 18, 2011
    this fan is on my motorcycle, i only want it to be able to run when the key is turned, i need to wire it into the ignition switch correct?

4. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    You need to wire it into something that is only active when the key is turned on. Ignition switch would be ideal, but it might be hard finding room on the ignition switch. On some bikes the main headlamp will only come on once the key is in the "on" position, this then becomes one circuit on the bike that you could use to trip the relay.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. sheldonstv

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
    heres a simple relay driver...... forget the 5v supply it will be ok for the voltage of the relay you have to hand

Attached Files:

Ask a Question