Maker Pro
Maker Pro

would it be possible to run this circuit with a single 9V supply?

AFex54

Apr 10, 2015
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/SAWTOTRICONVERT/SAWTOTRICONVERT.php

really need a ramp to triangle converter for integrating into the MFOS Noise toaster.
I would of course prefer to stick with MFOS designs for assurance that it is 'musical grade'.
So any Ideas if it would be possible?

With my limited knowledge I know there is slight possibility it will work without modification- explanation:
The TL084 will function with as low as 7v (+/-3.5v) and the ramp input is from another OpAmp running on 9V (noise toaster)
obviously im not taking into account the bundle of resistors and caps (power supply filter caps seems like the most obvious problem)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I don't know if you noticed ... its running off 24V, .... a +12V 0V -12V supply

The unit isn't going to work off a single 9V battery. It might work off two 9V batteries set up as a split supply
but I wouldn't guarantee its performance

Dave

AFex54

Apr 10, 2015
I don't know if you noticed ... its running off 24V, .... a +12V 0V -12V supply

The unit isn't going to work off a single 9V battery. It might work off two 9V batteries set up as a split supply
but I wouldn't guarantee its performance

Dave
Yeah I noted that in the title actually,' single 9V supply'.
according to Ray It should work perfectly with a dual 9v supply, but thats out of the question for my project.
the circuit has a fairly simple function and the op amps function perfectly with less than 9V ,
so could it just be a matter of adjusting the resistor and cap value to suit the lower voltage?
^probably a shot in the dark but I am a beginner.

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You could "synthesize" a ground from a single nine-volt supply provided it is a "floating" battery supply. OTOH, if your nine-volt supply is referenced to audio common that won't work. Better to add a charge-pump inverter circuit to provide a negative rail from a positive nine-volt supply referenced to audio common. The current requirement from the inverter will be quite small.

BTW, this is an excellent circuit design that is well documented. Be sure to read the notice in the box with the yellow background at the top of the linked page with regard to knowledge and experience required and suggested test equipment. I sure wish I could document my work this well!

AFex54

Apr 10, 2015
You could "synthesize" a ground from a single nine-volt supply provided it is a "floating" battery supply. OTOH, if your nine-volt supply is referenced to audio common that won't work. Better to add a charge-pump inverter circuit to provide a negative rail from a positive nine-volt supply referenced to audio common. The current requirement from the inverter will be quite small.

BTW, this is an excellent circuit design that is well documented. Be sure to read the notice in the box with the yellow background at the top of the linked page with regard to knowledge and experience required and suggested test equipment. I sure wish I could document my work this well!
ok cool,
and yeah I agree, Music from Outer Space projects are an absolute dream to work on.