Connect with us

Would a PIC type device and EPROM be appropriate for this?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Eric R Snow, Apr 20, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Eric R Snow

    Eric R Snow Guest

    I have several electronic linear measuring scales. The resoultion of
    these devices is .0005". Accuracy is + or - .001". However, there are
    apparently 20480 pulses per inch coming from the scales when moved.
    This equates to about .00005" resolution. So I was thinking about
    mapping the scales. I have the equipment to move these scales in
    ..0001" increments with a non accumulating error of less than .00004"
    per step. So, if I wanted to have scale with 8 inches travel with
    ..0001" resolution it would require 80,000 measurements and somehow
    these measurements would need to be associated with the scale so that
    the digital readout would show how far the scale had actually moved to
    within .0001". Is this "mapping" something that could be easily and
    cheaply handled a PIC and an Eprom? I hope the above was not too
    Eric R Snow
  2. Eric R Snow

    Eric R Snow Guest

    Thanks For the reply. I'll look into the rabbit web site.
  3. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    yes, it can be done very simply with a PIC, no Eprom needed.
    PIC's are getting large these days with lots of goodies in them
    also you have the AVR's (Atmels)which are nice to play with.
    in any case, you need to get your self a Dev kit..
    you may want to look into Rabit Kits., those are complete onboard
    CPU's loaded with memory, Networking etc..

    We have added a PIC between an encoder & it's readout to adapt a standard
    encoder to a special PPR
    they worked on first install, for us a 1 day job to get it working/debugged

    we also use a couple of bits on top of E-prom on another " Backgauge "
    product, to select the encoder input used, include Imperial / Metric

    I have also used a E-prom to map the runnout error on a ball screw, however
    I don't think you want to correct for a faulty encoder.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day