Connect with us

Would a 3V 13100rpm motor be able to pull 3lbs of weight?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by SkyKonig, Jan 26, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SkyKonig

SkyKonig

Jan 26, 2016
    I'm looking at this motor and wondered if it would be able to pull 3 pounds of weight, and if so how fast/slow. I have no idea how to work something like this out, so this is why I am asking :)

Thanks for the time guys :)

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    The values here will help.
    The Rated Load, and Rated load speed are important.

3. SkyKonig

SkyKonig

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks for pointing it out :) I converted 8 g.cm to lbs/in3 and it gave me 0.289018 lbs/in3. So am I right in saying the motor can only pull up to 0.3 pounds? Or have i got it mixed up?

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    That is a rating of torque. With a wheel attached that is 1cm radius, it could only pull 8 grams.
    If you use a wheel that is 2cm radius, you can only pull 4 grams.

Additionally, you can use gearing to trade speed for torque .. So a 10:1 gearing ratio would mean the final output would have 80g.cm torque, but only 1,310 rpm instead of 13,100.
    Of course... the conversions are not perfect... there will be loss in gearing. You can theoretically figure out a max possible speed this way.

5. SkyKonig

SkyKonig

Jan 26, 2016
    Thank you for the help :D

6. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Some preliminary math.
    Gearing ratio of 170:1 would allow for a 1cm-radius wheel to pull 3lbs.
    This would decrease the rpm from 13,100 to 77rpm.

The circumference of the wheel would be 6.28cm . Which is the distance that the motor would pull the weight for every final gear rotation. I ended up with 484cm/minute ...
    Keep in mind that values will vary quite a bit. There are also better methods available, but sadly I have not worked with it very much, so please over-size your motors.

BobK and SkyKonig like this.
  7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Gryd3's calculations are a theoretical maximum. I would derate by about a factor or 2 to estimate what it might really do.

Bob

Gryd3 likes this.
Ask a Question