Maker Pro
Maker Pro

work area showoff thread

dustin02rsx

May 18, 2011
Hey guys, i am looking for some ideas for my work desk as it is currently very unorganized. I figured if people wanted to post up a pic of their set up, they could show it off and help me get some ideas at the same time :D

i figure some key things i'd like on mine are
-spot for paper work/ designing
-spot for laptop to be easily accessible
-spot for power supply
-easy access to my soldering iron, multi meter and other tools
-somehow organize all the parts and wires

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hahaha ya dont wanna see mine.... its a typical workshop bombsite !!
I know where everything is... no one else does ;)

Dave

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Here's an idea for storing parts. There's also a description of a method of storing resistors in resistor.zip here.

Smithy49

Jul 14, 2011
I always thought that having a plastic trolley like this is quite useful - especially when your working on a table.

http://www.premier-storage.co.uk/shop/item/plastic-trolleys/plastic-trolleys-3-shelf-trolley/

One can put all the heavy equipment like oscilloscopes and function generators onto the trolley, and put it under the table when not in use. This saves an absolute ton of space on top of the table. Also, a good idea would to glue a multi-plug extension lead onto the 'back' of the trolley. This way you can plug all the test equipment plugs into it, and have only one plug going to a socket in the wall, meaning it is far safer and tidier than having multiple cables leading to the wall.

That's just my thoughts though.:D

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Another thing I recommend is getting a bunch of cheap bookcases. You can store lots of things on them besides books if you get plastic drawers and boxes. If I had the cash, I'd also get some hefty office cabinets to store some of the bigger stuff in to keep it away from curious fingers.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
...but mostly, the thing I find useful is my chuckout routine. I wish it were as systematic as it sounds but the gist of it is that every once in a while I have to move to a new address. This gives me the opportunity to apply an absolutely ruthless cleanout program, which I very rarely find myself regretting, except in the case of books.
It's been so useful to me that I do it more often than I really need to, and can often find things nowadays which would once have been nigh impossible.

dustin02rsx

May 18, 2011
hahaha ya dont wanna see mine.... its a typical workshop bombsite !!
I know where everything is... no one else does ;)

Dave

thats how mine is at the moment. I was tryin to get some ideas on making it better :D

Here's an idea for storing parts. There's also a description of a method of storing resistors in resistor.zip here.

i actually got a box almost just like that. its a fishing tackle box, but works perfect for electronics. I got it new so there isnt any fish guts or anything on my parts lol.

...but mostly, the thing I find useful is my chuckout routine. I wish it were as systematic as it sounds but the gist of it is that every once in a while I have to move to a new address. This gives me the opportunity to apply an absolutely ruthless cleanout program, which I very rarely find myself regretting, except in the case of books.
It's been so useful to me that I do it more often than I really need to, and can often find things nowadays which would once have been nigh impossible.

i am always saying, "hmmm i dont need this part now, but i never know when i could need it, so ill save it." :eek: