Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Woo-woo projects.

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
I keep seeing more and more of this stuff lately. This must be coming from schools and teachers.

You know, the ones who teach kids that everyone deserves a trophy, and everyone deserves free stuff!:(

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gold-Star.jpg
    Gold-Star.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 353
Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think you deserve a big gold sticker for this post Gonzo!

Three gold stars this week and we'll give you a certificate of merit.

I know this is math class, but you get gold stars for:

- turning up
- putting your hand up when you want to ask a question
- writing your numerals neatly
- being pleasant and happy
- for encouragement (if you haven't got any stars)

And look! Everyone is on track for a certificate!

OK, now I've explained that, there's no time to teach you math. But don't worry -- that won't stop you getting a certificate.

Now run along to your science class. You want to get a gold star there too!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Congratulations GonzoEngineer on getting a gold star. Of course, everyone else got a gold star too. So there's no need to make your posts accurate or thought-provoking.

I think it's a combination of factors.

With the free exchange of information and automatic anonymity provided by the Internet, it's much easier to fool the gullible into believing in woo-woo; whether it's homeopathy, psychics, or free energy (http://www.overunity.com), there are many sites on which you can waste your time, and money if you wish.

There is no specific training in the science syllabus (at least, there wasn't when I was at school) on judging credibility of claims and evidence, and thinking critically and skeptically.

The claimed results of the technology are very impressive. Cures for cancer. Direct communication with dearly missed relatives. The end of resource depletion and infinite free energy forever without pollution.

And when skeptics point out that the apparent believability of pseudoscience is only due to one or more now well-documented weaknesses in the human brain's cognition, and that none of it has ever been found to be valid in properly conducted tests designed to minimise these cognitive biases, we are criticised as being narrow-minded party-poopers, not qualified to comment because we are not involved in the movement. :-(

9044d1374832018-woo-woo-projects-gold-star.jpg

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Glad I showed-up here, and got my gold star for it!
I think it's unfair though, that I had to show-up here, to GET my gold star.
I should have been able to get my gold star without showing-up here to claim it.
WAAAhhhhh!!!

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Hello everyone, first time here on Electronics Point. I'm a complete electronics nube so please be kind and gentle with me. I have a little project that I hope your experts can help me with.

Resume:

I'm an electronics student now. Not sure how much I comprehend but I've been the recipient of a gold star in every class and grade since preschool!!!

Prerequisites:

(1P) Don't ask me a lot of questions because my project is top secret.
(2P) Don't ask me to post schematics. See item 1P.
(3P) Don't ask me for links. See item 1P.
(4P) Don't ask me for photos. See item 1P

Un-Divulged Project Parameters:

(1U) Please see Prerequisites.

Divulged Project Parameters:

(1D) Must be capable of simultaneously powering Munich, London, Brisbane and NYC.
(2D) Must be no larger than a tube of toothpaste.
(3D) Must be contrary to all laws of physics.
(4D) Must be totally wireless.
(5D) Must not utilize any known Earthbound resources.
(6D) Must be 100% pollution free.
(7D) Must be organic, See limitations in item 5D.
(8D) Must be Over Unity. See item 3D.

Environmental Requirements:

(1E) Must produce a byproduct of pure oxygen.
(2E) Must lower sea levels world wide.
(3E) Must reduce global temperatures by 5 degC.
(4E) Must induce Japan to stop slaughtering Whales.
(5E) Must induce Japan to stop slaughtering Sharks for Shark fins.
(6E) Must induce p!ssed off Sharks to stop eating Japanese.
(7E) Must induce starving Eskimos to stop slaughtering Seals and Walrus.
(8E) Must bring peace on earth.

Well, that's about it. I hope you guys can help me more than the last forum I was on. They weren't helpful at all. I mean they couldn't grasp any of my concepts!!!:rolleyes:

Thank you in advance,
Billy Woo Woo Goldstar

PS: I had to hire someone to write and type this for me. English is my native language but I'm not very good at it. Go figure? :confused: Did I mention that I've received gold stars my entire life?

Last edited:

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
I had to hire someone to write and type this for me.
You hired the wrong person.... get your money back!

It is vital that you use the words VERY URGENT!!!!! and Plzzzzz (or pleeeeeazeeee) in every post to be certain of being instantly ignored :)

Best to post in at least three sub-forums of at least five forums to cause maximum irritation, then after 10 minutes of waiting, add your own pathetic reply of "nobody help me?"

But on the plus side CDRIVE, you made a very good 2348th attempt :) well done

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Must be powered by water. Actually, HHO. That's what we in-the-know folks call it.

People say I think and write in non-sequiturs, but actually, my cat has fleas.

You can't tell me that my idea won't work. I haven't explained it in enough detail for you to be sure of that. In fact I haven't even thought about it in detail yet!

I think the laws of physics are just like the laws of the land. In fact they're even easier to break, because the cops don't enforce them.

etc.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Must be powered by water. Actually, HHO. That's what we in-the-know folks call it.

People say I think and write in non-sequiturs, but actually, my cat has fleas.

You can't tell me that my idea won't work. I haven't explained it in enough detail for you to be sure of that. In fact I haven't even thought about it in detail yet!

I think the laws of physics are just like the laws of the land. In fact they're even easier to break, because the cops don't enforce them.

etc.

Ha, how this made me laugh!!! Great delivery Kris! Was the last paragraph a verbatim quote from our crystal radio guitar thread?

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think my sig at one stage was along the lines of:

"Why don't governments impose penalties for breaking the laws of physics?"

A bit too subtle for some people...

attachment.php

Attachments

• must_do_better250_250.jpg
    must_do_better250_250.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I think my sig at one stage was along the lines of:

"Why don't governments impose penalties for breaking the laws of physics?"

A bit too subtle for some people...

If I answer that correctly am I really, really smart? Will I be awarded another gold star?.

Chris

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Just checked the school's grading criteria for letter grades (for the few schools that
still bully their children with actual accomplishment).
A 'D' is now issued to reflect any of the following:
Dandy, deserving, darling, dazzling, delightful, distinquished, diverse, or dynamite
(with the proviso that the child be dissuaded from hands-on work with the last one).

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
I just stumbled on an article apropos this thread. Apparently this advice about "Eleven things you don't learn in school" was given in a speech by Bill Gates to high school students (probably in the 1990s, going by the reference to "car phone").

"He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teaching has created a full generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept sets them up for failure in the real world.

1. Life is not fair. Get used to it.
2. The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
3. You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice president with a car phone, until you earn both.
4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.
5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.
6. If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes; learn from them.
7. Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rainforest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.
8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off, and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.
10. Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
11. Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one."

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
LOL!

... at least I said "apparently ..." :)

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
That was a good find Kris. It's a miracle the Gates & Jobs grew out of an era where all of the above was born. Some how the two of them managed to actually accomplish something while others were dropping out, turning on and tuning out.

Lately, I've taken to observing for what passes as parenting nowadays. It's no wonder that the kids lack common sense. It's only offered as an elective now! Their parents don't even have any!

Last evening Marilynne and I biked over to a nearby wetlands preserve. Once inside the preserve I see this father helping his son and daughter over a slat fence that blocks access to berms where Gators like to sun bathe. These kids were about 8 or 9 years old and just about the right size and weight that Gators don't fear. They're considered dinner! In another month or two it will be nesting season. When that happens it won't matter how big you are. They won't back down.

These folks were obviously tourists so I politely told the man that the fence is there for a reason. The preserve is kept as natural as possible but one Gator vs Human incident would be all it would take to close off these areas or close the park to the public entirely. This brings up another point which is the purpose of these man made wetlands.

Wakodahatchee and Green Cay wetlands are lands that were donated by farmers to Palm Beach County for the purposes of water reclamation. While I love these preserves they represent the dumbest, most wasteful green projects ever undertaken in PBC. The water in these parks is recycled sewage. There are large purification plants sucking up massive power before the water is released into the park where wetlands vegetation completes the process. From there it's piped to golf courses, municipalities, large condos, etc for irrigation.

Meanwhile, in the center of Florida sits Lake Okeechobee. The largest freshwater lake in North America. We also experience more rainfall than we know what to do with. Florida, especially South Florida, is a maze of canals that dump our rainfall into the Intra-Coastal waterway, rivers, etc, that eventually empty into the Atlantic! On top of that many of these canals are connected to Lake Okeechobee, where they constantly have to release excessive water levels to protect the levies. By the way and not a surprise,.. the lake is our main water supply.

So why not just build reservoirs to catch rain and spill off from the lake? My guess is that the reclamation schemes received state grants, who in turn received federal "Green" grants. Building water catchments would be old school and old thinking. After all, it makes much more sense to burn the dreaded fossil fuels to power the water treatment plants, to remove the poop and other debris from the water! :rolleyes:

Chris

Last edited: