Connect with us

Wiring of a Ammeter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by MadMechanic, Oct 26, 2012.

1. MadMechanic

MadMechanic

Aug 28, 2012
    Hello All,

I will be wiring an analog ammeter across the shunt of a positive DC lead. I also want to wire a voltmeter on the same circuit as well. If I were to connect the voltmeter to one of the same leads as the ammeter, would the small resistance of the coil within the ammeter and the voltmeter affect each other in what they read? If so is it negligible? any rules I should follow? Thanks,

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    it shouldn't affect is noticeably unless the shunt is extremely high resistance (as most volt meters use very high impedance from positive to negative) if you hook the positive from the AM (ammeter) to the source, negative into the shunt, with positive of the VM (voltmeter) at the same spot and the negative of the VM on the other side of the shunt you should be fine, you can also do the AM after the shunt if you want to

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You meter is the key. Make sure it has high input impedance, for best accuracy.

4. MadMechanic

MadMechanic

Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks much

5. JMW

JMW

Jan 30, 2012
    If you are using a shunt, you will not be using an ammeter. When using a shunt you are measuring the voltage across a known resistance. Knowing the resistance of the shunt, and the voltage across it allows you to calculate the current through the shunt. Depending on the meters calibration, it may be a direct reading. Do not try and connect an ammeter in series with a shunt!!. It will work for a short period, then the magic smoke will escape.

Ask a Question