Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring mental block

Demara Jackson

Oct 18, 2017
Hello,

I am attempting to change the controller on my LED emergency light bar. I have a single selector button for the patterns, and would like to switch to a multibutton controller. I made an attempt, but all I'm getting is one pattern, I believe I'm missing something....

Please help

Screenshot_20171018-113431.jpg

Screenshot_20171018-113345.jpg

Screenshot_20171018-113239.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171018-113159.jpg
    Screenshot_20171018-113159.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have a single selector button for the patterns, and would like to switch to a multibutton controller. I made an attempt, but all I'm getting is one pattern, I believe I'm missing something....

so are we
without wiring info, there's probably little anyone could suggest, unless there is some one here with an identical one

showing a cable with a bunch of unidentified coloured wires coming out of it is not helpful

where did you get it .... don't you have any connection info that came with it ??

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Most likely serially-addressed LEDs and programmed via micro controller. Unless you can access the software you have no chance of achieving your aim.

Demara Jackson

Oct 18, 2017
There was no wiring info.......Basically the 1 button controller has a power and ground which when pressed disrupts the ground signal activating the pattern change. The other controller has individual wires that corresponds to each button on the controller. I'm asking if there is a way to wire the individual wires so that when pressed, it creates the signal flow that corresponds with the associated pattern?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You would need a circuit that senses one of the multiple buttons, then simulates the number of presses the single button would take to select the desired pattern.

Bob

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You would need a circuit that senses one of the multiple buttons, then simulates the number of presses the single button would take to select the desired pattern.

Bob
Sensing which button is pressed is probably simple... one wire for each button, eh? But then the circuit, it would also have to somehow keep track of how many "button pushes" have already been issued, so it "knows" where in the sequence you already are, and can therefore issue the appropriate number of "button pushes" to get to the desired sequence.

What a kludge that would be, and prone to getting "out of sync" too. I think it would be more appropriate to just purchase the light bar that is intended to be used with the multi-button controller.

Demara Jackson

Oct 18, 2017
Sensing which button is pressed is probably simple... one wire for each button, eh? But then the circuit, it would also have to somehow keep track of how many "button pushes" have already been issued, so it "knows" where in the sequence you already are, and can therefore issue the appropriate number of "button pushes" to get to the desired sequence.

What a kludge that would be, and prone to getting "out of sync" too. I think it would be more appropriate to just purchase the light bar that is intended to be used with the multi-button controller.

I think you are right....or just deal with it.