Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring buttons or switches to turn certain things on

trustyshank

Apr 6, 2018
Hey there guys,

I have a project id like to undertake but have no idea how to do it.

Basically I'm going to build a box with 2 seperate shelves, one for my pc and one for my xbox. What i'd like to know is if its possible to wire a switch/button which turns on the pc and a seperate button/switch for the xbox to turn on. I'd love to be able to hide the wiring in the box i'm making as well. And for the buttons/switches to be next to each other.

Cheers

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sure, provided it follows your local electrical codes.
If you want to use small compact low voltage switches, you could use rib relays to do the heavy switching.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Not quit that simple I'm afraid. The XBox is unlikely to simply boot at switch on, requiring the 'on' button to be pressed. I don't have the latest XBox so can't confirm this but if it IS the case then you'll have some additional work to do.....

A 'posh' way to do it would be to get two remote controlled power outlets (these are available to switch lights, kettles etc) and just plug in to them.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I've got a switch on the wall that turns on a receptacle the powers my Xbox, monitor and peripherals. No, it doesn't boot it up automatically but you need to pick up the remote to do anything anyway.

When no one is using the room I just flip the switch off on the way out. I hate when Xbox or a pc powers up on their own to do an update.

trustyshank

Apr 6, 2018
Not quit that simple I'm afraid. The XBox is unlikely to simply boot at switch on, requiring the 'on' button to be pressed. I don't have the latest XBox so can't confirm this but if it IS the case then you'll have some additional work to do.....

A 'posh' way to do it would be to get two remote controlled power outlets (these are available to switch lights, kettles etc) and just plug in to them.
ghee, I didn't even think about smart plugs, I'll definately give them a go. Cheers for the suggestion