Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring a usb port into a lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strongbad42

Jan 26, 2017
I'm very new to electronics.

I'm building a lamp. It's basically a wooden box with a toggle switch and edison bulb both sticking out of the top. I'd like to have a usb port on the side of the lamp where I can plug my phone into and charge it, even if the lamp is turned off.

I have been able to wire the toggle switch into the lamp cord so that the light bulb turns on and off, but now, if it isn't going to be too difficult, I'd like to wire a usb port into it as well. What parts do I need? Is this a bit too difficult for an extreme beginner?

Qualcomm_inside!

Jan 27, 2017
it would be simpler and safer to mount a plug on the side of your box and wire it in parallel to the main AC in, before the lamp and switch.

If you mount an outlet you can just use a USB wall adapter. To install a USB plug in the lamp you would need a small ready fit power board anyway but you would need to safely wire it in to the mains line and mount it in its own support frame/ chassis

You can probably find a 2 prong, single socket AC outlet in its own housing like you would have on the back of a stereo receiver or a cable box for switching a TV on from a set top box

This advice is way too dangerous for a beginner

Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You could use a USB outlet for wall mounting like offered e.g. here.

Make sure the installation within the lamp socket is absolutely safe (good insulation, well secured screw mounts, suffcient air gap and creepage between mains and the USB port etc.).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm very new to electronics.

I'm building a lamp. It's basically a wooden box with a toggle switch and edison bulb both sticking out of the top. I'd like to have a usb port on the side of the lamp where I can plug my phone into and charge it, even if the lamp is turned off.

I have been able to wire the toggle switch into the lamp cord so that the light bulb turns on and off, but now, if it isn't going to be too difficult, I'd like to wire a usb port into it as well. What parts do I need? Is this a bit too difficult for an extreme beginner?

Yes it is

as you have admitted you are an extreme beginner .... you should NOT be playing with mains voltages

you have been given safer options ... please follow that advice :)

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.