Connect with us

Wiring a reactance ballast????

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by JD_Bugs, Jun 15, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JD_Bugs

JD_Bugs

Jun 15, 2012
    I'm repairing a 13W cfl desk lamp (OTT-Light) that needs a new ballast.The lamp is configured with a plugin ballast (Simple Reactance Ballast - HB-13P-1) (see attached). The replacement ballast (1G13CP; see attached) is a unit with just two black wires. Can someone shed light on how to wire this thing? My guess is it should be spliced into one of the two mains wires between the outlet (120v) and the lamp, after replacing the HB-13P-1 with a plug. Since the wires on the new ballast are not marked, either can be the "input" or "output".

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Didn't the supplier supply any instructions?

Since it's only two wires, I'm going to assume it just goes in series with the light on line side...

mains hot line - ballast in - ballast out- bulb in - bulb out - mains neutral line

But, since you are playing with mains I HIGHLY suggest you contact the supplier or find the instructions to verify what I just stated!

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  4. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    I believe the ballast is simply a coil. You may hook it up in either direction. The associated capacitor is probably in between the filaments in the base of the tube. The circuit is basically a series LC circuit with the tube being essentially in parallel with the capacitor. The LC circuit is driven by the line voltage and generates about 900 volts across the tube.

5. Newportnews9

Newportnews9

Sep 2, 2013
    Have you found a solution to this ballast repair yet? I have a Herman Miller Lamp with a blown ballast HP=-13P-1 and am looking for a way to repair this part. Thanks for any help!!!

6. John Whitaker

John Whitaker

Oct 16, 2015
    You have a black wire with two strands appearing similar. Under a magnifying glass (or using your fingernail) you will see that one of the black strands is ridged longidudinaly along the strand. You can feel it with your fingernail. The other strand is smooth and has writing. I believe the ridged strand is hot... but it's been a long time. Check with a multitester to make sure.

7. John Whitaker

John Whitaker

Oct 16, 2015
    You have a black wire with two strands appearing similar. Under a magnifying glass (or using your fingernail) you will see that one of the black strands is ridged longidudinaly along the strand. You can feel it with your fingernail. The other strand is smooth and has writing. I believe the ridged strand is hot... but it's been a long time. Check with a multitester to make sure.

Ask a Question