Connect with us

Wiring a latching switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by BD33, Aug 5, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BD33

BD33

Aug 5, 2011
    hey im a noob to the electronics mod world. i got two switches (see image below) and i'd like to use one to turn on a gps. and the other to turn on some led tubes.

my question is: what is the correct way to wire it? i know the left and right connections (positive and negative respectively) are for powering the led ring on the switch. but what are the other 3 prongs for? I thought there would only be 2 (postive and negative). the third one is throwing me off. also what do the abbreviations mean NC, NO, and C? lastly what would be the correct size inline fuses for these switches? Magellan 1700 and StreetGlow kit.Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. BD33

BD33

Aug 5, 2011
    Ok, so Normally Closed and Normally Open. is the C for just closed? any help you guys can give would be much appreciated. thanks

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    C is common. C to NC is normally closed. C to NO is normally open.

Likely you'll use the C and NO contacts to allow you to turn something on when the switch is operated.

4. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    The fuse is rated based on the load, the Magellan 1700 and StreetGlow kit, not the switch. The switch is also needs to be rated higher than the load. Do you have a link to the switch data? And, do you know the current draw of the Magellan 1700 and the StreetGlow kit?

Ken

5. BD33

BD33

Aug 5, 2011
    hey. thanks for the help. the specs for the switch are

Total Length (including face and terminals): 39mm
    Face Ø: 22mm
    Thread Ø: 18.9mm
    Connection Terminal Dimensions: 2.8 x 0.5 mm
    Switch Structure: No. 3
    Current: 5 A Maximum
    Voltage: 250 VAC Maximum
    Resistance: ≤ 50 mΩ
    Insulation Resistance: ≥ 1000 mΩ
    Insulation Voltage: 2000 VAC
    Operating Temperature: -20 ~ +70°C
    Lifetime: 1,000,000 hours
    Switch Use Lifetime: 50,000 hours
    Connection Material: Silver
    Operation Pressure: 3 ~ 5 N
    Material: Stainless-Steel
    LED Voltage: 3.3 VDC
    5 VDC
    12 VDC
    LED Lifetime: 40,000 hours

I ended up getting this plenio VXA-2100 gps (damn near free) which fits into my application better. i cant find the specs for the power anywhere. but i was going to clip the cig plug off of the power cord and wire it to the switch. a radio is ~5 amps so i know this gps cant possibly be higher than that.

the street glow kit is ~1 amp,

so i dont see a power issue if im using 2 identical switches. one for the leds and one for the gps. unless i overlooked something?

*update* i was right, after looking up some forums. someone has done something similar, the consensus is that it needs a 3A fuse. the plug that comes with the GPS holds a 3A fuse so im good. thanks for the help guys! i will let you all know how it goes. going to do the install next week

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
Ask a Question