Maker Pro
Maker Pro

wiring 6 core cable to 4 core - advice needed

jean_michel

Nov 19, 2021
Hello

I hope someone can help with this question. I have a li-on battery with a severed cable to the power input, meaning it can no longer be charged by the separate charging unit. The old charging port, which would have been on the other end of the severed cable, has unfortunately been lost.

Rather than buy a new battery (which is super expensive), I decided to buy an extension charger cable (specifically designed for the battery unit), which has the correct proprietary charging port, and splice it into the severed cable.

The problem is that the severed cable to the battery has 6 wires (white; black; blue; red; yellow; green), and the extension cable only 4 wires (white; black; blue; brown)

Does anybody know how the 6 wires should connect to the 4 ?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Please supply make and model of the battery and the charger cable so we can get an idea what you are looking at.
I decided to buy an extension charger cable (specifically designed for the battery unit
Then I'd expect the manufacturer or seller of this specifically made cable to be able to supply the information.
When a battery connection has more than 2 wires ('+' and '-'), then the remaining wires are used for a battery management system (BMS) which can include cell balancing and even temperature sensing. Your battery probably has 3 cells and the 4 wires of the spare cable are used for cell balancing. The other 2 wires from the original cable may have been used for a temperature sensor. But without knowing the details of your battery pack and cable this is all pure guesswork and I may be completely wrong :(