Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless trigger without microcontroller

Harry.k

Jun 12, 2012
I want to make a simple wireless on-off switch and a reciever. The scenario is this:-
i have a lamp hung from the top floor of my house. To switch it on, i have to climb two floors. Plus, i am kinda obese. Other than adding an elevator, this is the best option.
Everything i found online involved microcontrollers. Is there a simple alternative?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yeah go to Home Depot (or Ebay) and pickup a wireless remote fan/light switch...

Or have a proper 3 way switch so it can be turned on/off at the top and bottom of the stairs...

Anything DIY and mains without experience and know how can result in bad things...

Last edited:

Harry.k

Jun 12, 2012
I have enough experience. I assembled an rf remote for a twin color fancy lighting last week. It used a PICaxe microcontroller. In fact, the last one i had. I wanted to know if i could make this without a microcontroller.
I know you mean welll, but if i wanted to buy a readymade one, i would' ve bought it rather than post here. XD

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Well here is the deal, you can get a turnkey working one with a nice remote on Ebay for $7 delivered to your door...

Or you can find a wireless module that has self contained encoder and decoder chips that will do the task the micro normally does, these can be had on Ebay for about $9, but the receiver runs on 12 volts so you will need a transformer and then you will have to figure out where to put that bare relay board and transformer... You could go the IR route, but again you need an encoder and decoder to replace the micros... Or you could get the decoder chips and a wireless module and work something up...

There are many plans out there to DIY, but as you have found it's 2012 and most will contain micros, at the bare minimum they will use pair decoder and encoder chips...

I can't offer up much advice on not doing it with a micro, it's simply the way it's done nowadays, unless you really want to dig in deep and old school...

Harry.k

Jun 12, 2012
Belive me, I have been digging deep and old school for years now. Personally, i preffer to know how to rather than putting in a readymade module. But seriously, you could scare away potential newcomers with a genuine interest using that tone.
About the feasability, i live next to a street full of electronic hobby stores. Besides, i already have made a miniature battery eleminator for this. IR is not an option coz the reciever cant be placed in the direct los of the remote.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
But seriously, you could scare away potential newcomers with a genuine interest using that tone.

IMO this is not a newcomer level project and they shouldn't be doing it without background knowledge... Playing with mains power is dangerous period, if you don't get killed playing with it there is still the chance what you did or will do can at some point cause a fire and still kill... Designing and building a radio transmitter and receiver from scratch is again not a newbie level project, there is a lot involved in doing so, more so then I would even tackle when I can get fine tuned reliable modules that do it for a few bucks...

As I have already told you, there are encoder and decoder chips as well as RF modules out there to do this without a micro, if that doesn't fit your bill maybe you can elaborate more on what you want to do or are expecting to find...

Harry.k

Jun 12, 2012
An rf module seems line a good idea. Thanks, Cola. I just need something basic. The transmiter sends a signal, the reciever gets it and sends a pulse to a cd4017 to toggle the light on/off. Any suggestions on how to keep it simple?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The transmiter sends a signal, the reciever gets it

For this you will need an encoder/decoder that is the purpose of the micro in most circuits, there are chips that do this as well... The encoder/decoder pair will differentiate between random noise and an actual on/off signal...

and sends a pulse to a cd4017

I suspect you want to use the 4017 to latch the signal, depending on the encoder/decoder this might not be needed... The popular PT2272 chip comes in both a momentary and latch version, the latch version will latch the current state until it receives another signal...

to toggle the light on/off. Any suggestions on how to keep it simple?

What happens here is that you have a small IC incapable of switching a mains light on/off on it's own, you will likely need to have the IC drive a transistor that will in turn drive a relay that will switch the light...

Go to Ebay and look up wireless RF modules, encoders and decoders... There are plenty of options to choose from, I'm not going to recommend one particular approach because as I have already stated I would just pick a turnkey wireless on/off switch and be done with it... Pay attention to all the details of whatever you choose, for example you know you want it to latch so instead of complicating it get one that latches from the get go...

eptheta

Dec 20, 2009
I don't understand why you'd hesitate to use a micro controller if you're already familiar with PICs. My brother also had something against uCs and he was adamant about building an IR remote without them. He did eventually, but it was as big as a brick, and just a little lighter. (Okay, I'm exaggerating a *little* bit)
If it's a learning thing for you and not just a final product you seek, then go for it.

CocaCola has already told you what you need: an RF module-->encoder chips-->decoder chips--> SAFE interface to the mains (relays)
Since you already built an IR remote, you are already familiar with transmission protocol, the only difference is that you'd be using an RF module.

Harry.k

Jun 12, 2012
Yup, its a learning thing. Already started working on it thanks to cola. You're right. Its as big as a brick. Atleast my urges are satisfied.