Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless switch or Rfid help??

Droopy

Dec 12, 2012
Ok here goes, Im working on somewhat of a project. Basically what I need to happen is for something to turn on when im close to it (1-2 feet). Right now what I have going on is a wireless switch pretty much like what you unlock your car doors with but right now I have to push the button to make the switch turn on. I need it more to work on its own, Ive been looking into other types of switch control options obviously a motion sensor on a switch would work but im tryin not to use that because I dont want it to go off all the time. Ive seen the rfid tags (key chain style) and thats kinda what im looking for so I could have it on my key chain and said devices turns on when Im close, the problem is I cant find anything that works on rfid and works at a range larger than 2 inches or so.... So here I am asking the experts of the world for some advice.......I am no electronics genius by far but im a pretty smart guy and great at tinkering with stuff. Price point is an issue as the wireless control im using now is only 5$ for remote and circuit board on ebay im aware that ill probably pay a little more and that's not a problem... Well sorry for the long post and I wont take any more of your time. Any input is appreciated, Thank you.....Oh P.s. It is battery powered in a 5v system

VAT

Dec 10, 2012
Hello Droopy,

have you come across RFID tags that operate at 13.56MHz range? they have a range of 1 meter, and I personally think thats perfect for proximity detected activities... anything more might create security issues.

the only thing that worries me is the power consumption of the whole thing, so i suggest you throw in the motion detector anyway, so that you begin to scan for ID's when there is motion at least that way you are not broadcasting 24/7.(it is a small amount and placing a motion detector might actually consume more power then it would have originally but you get the idea)

As for cost I came across an RFID TAG and reader for a total of 160 pounds.

the key words you want to search are

RFID 13.56MHz

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
As for cost I came across an RFID TAG and reader for a total of 160 pounds.

About $20 from China for readers and writers, tags are about $1 each...

For 160 pounds you can get a complete turnkey RFID commercial door entry system...

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
droopy first of, welcome to the forums.
coca cola advice is true but you getwhat you pay for here.... some of them are good for the quick auto door and others not so good. research the heck outta the one you want and there is ALWAYS someone somewhere that has the model you buy and is willing to talk about them.
if this is a security measure go for the best you can, if its not so much security just a good thing to have than trial a cheaper model as i said these can work as good(well bout 95% as good) as some of the more expensive brands

Droopy

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks alot for the quick reply's guys :) Vat, I actually have looked at some in the 13.56 range. Not the 160 ones but the 20$ ones from china that CokaCola mentioned and the max range I can find on any of them is 60mm which is roughly 2.5in, thats still really not enough, But the Idea on controlling it with the motion sensor is one that never crossed my mind and I defiantly will use that idea lol, Its not ment for anything security related and for the most part its really only gonna turn on a couple Leds...... So I guess my next question would be is there any other type of "wireless switch" type methods or are those my only real options?!?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
an infared beam accross a path is another option, like when you walk into a shop it chimes. instead of running chimes it could do what you want.
another option is a pressure pad along the ground that when you step on it it turns on a device.
proximity sensors could be used if you know the ins and outs.
there is a vast list of possibilities fro it but it all depends on your needs, your budget and your capabilities

VAT

Dec 10, 2012
I thought you wanted it to be hands free, my apologize.

If you can tolerate push button then there is even better.

A transmitter that generates power from your button press and uses that to transmit!!
pretty cool huh?

Click here

Also it has a range of 200m out door and 30m indoor.

Total Cost 50€

Droopy

Dec 12, 2012
No Vat you are right, I do want it to be hands free, right now im using a standard wireless relay like you would unlock your car doors with but hands free is my optimal goal, Rfid or nfc would be the way to go from what I can tell but when I look at even the 13.56 range the best I can find is 60mm range which is not sufficient enough..... Donkey, Ive pondered on ir but its just not really practical for the situation........ Basically what I need is something like Rfid but with a range of about 1 meter but in a compact size, the standard cheap Rfid kits would work if there range was longer....... I guess its back to the drawing board as they say.........

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
well rfid is a good step. making a portable fm transmitter/reciever with a 1m range is another way to go too. this is going to be more expensive but is possible.

another choice is taking a $50 metal detector (or cheaper one)and use it to switch on off... this may getyou bout 30cm if you are lucky.

bluetooth is ok... but you have to pair it
wifi has alot longer range.
using a wiimote and adjusting sensitivity to make it only go 1meter.....
using a motion sensor set to a short viewing angle will offer about a 1meter range

there are possibilities but as stated before it depends on your level of expertise, needs and budget.

if you could let me know what its for maybe I could get a better idea for you. atm all I know is it is for LEDs butnot really thinking of anything except maybe a light for your shed?

Droopy

Dec 12, 2012
Lemme just say, Donkey your great all of yall are great, I think I might try the motion sensor and see how I like it im sure it will last way longer on the battery anyway lol

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
you can get ones to plug into walls and solar powered ones.
the issue with motion sensors is MOTION. if this is to automate lighting and you use it over your most comfortable chair for example..... well when you get comfortable and stop fidgeting then you no longer move, hence the motion sensor will cut out.
you can get some really nice motion sensors that offer up to 5minutes of run time after motion is detected though.there may be ones that go longer.
there is also the issue of turning it off... if it is on a timer and you only need it for say 30 seconds then you will consume 5minutes due to the preset timer.
there ARE ways around this off course but it all depends on the use of your circuit

Droopy

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah I ordered a couple of the cheap 5v ones from ebay, gonna play around with them and see what I can drop the range and times to of course it will take a month for them to get here probably.