Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless sensor network in a office

fofo33

Feb 2, 2015
Dears,

I am interested in performing a monitored office. A wireless sensor network with a concentrator receiving and storing the information and the possibility to perform the control over the loads (lights, plug meters, etc.).

So, I'm interested in measure: temperature (5 points), light (3 points), presence (3 points - PIR), open/close windows and door (3 points) and electric current (from 2 to 82 points).

In addition, I'm interested in control from 2 to 82 electric points.

The office is a normal room with tables, chairs and PC's and has only one door and two windows. We have thought to put a PIR detector above the door or on the roof, in the middle of the office, but we have doubts. We want to detect the occupancy with the most individualized way (detecting several levels of occupancy, max. resolution). What is the best method to do it? The seat occupancy is a good alternative? Is easy to install in the chairs the seat occupancy sensors or we need to destroy the chairs to install it? Explain us your point of view.

In the same line, in relation with the occupancy too, we have a RFID system that we would to integrate in the WSN system. I need a system that lets to integrate elements from third companies.

Moreover, in relation with the consumption we have 2 lines of electric lights and 8 lines of equipment (PC's, screens, etc) that derive in 80 power plugs. Our aim is to control and measure theses 82 (80+2) points, but we see that is economically expensive. What solutions can you propose to control and measure these points with the lowest price and minimal installation. There are 3 points where we can control and measure the electric current: in the switchboard (rac din), in the electric cable (hall sensors and relays) and in the electric plug (electric plug meter and control). Which is the best solution?

Requirements:

- Cheap.

- Easy to program.

-1 gateway only

-Possible installation in switchboard (the current measurement and control part only).

Someone can propose me companies that sell something similar? I analysed:

Libelium
BeagleBoard
Arduino
RaspberryPi
Advanticsys
Memsic
Monnit
Epssilon
National Instruments
Schneider
Pervasa
Beanair
Campbell
Linear tecnology
Episensor
Sayme
Zolertia
Microstrain
Maxfor
Esensor-sensormetrix
Sonnonet
Plugwise
Kmote
One quan
Everspring

And I haven't found a properly solution. Do you know any alternative? Do you know a similar project?

Thanks for your time. :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Dears,

I am interested in performing a monitored office. A wireless sensor network with a concentrator receiving and storing the information and the possibility to perform the control over the loads (lights, plug meters, etc.).

So, I'm interested in measure: temperature (5 points), light (3 points), presence (3 points - PIR), open/close windows and door (3 points) and electric current (from 2 to 82 points).

In addition, I'm interested in control from 2 to 82 electric points.

The office is a normal room with tables, chairs and PC's and has only one door and two windows. We have thought to put a PIR detector above the door or on the roof, in the middle of the office, but we have doubts. We want to detect the occupancy with the most individualized way (detecting several levels of occupancy, max. resolution). What is the best method to do it? The seat occupancy is a good alternative? Is easy to install in the chairs the seat occupancy sensors or we need to destroy the chairs to install it? Explain us your point of view.

In the same line, in relation with the occupancy too, we have a RFID system that we would to integrate in the WSN system. I need a system that lets to integrate elements from third companies.

Moreover, in relation with the consumption we have 2 lines of electric lights and 8 lines of equipment (PC's, screens, etc) that derive in 80 power plugs. Our aim is to control and measure theses 82 (80+2) points, but we see that is economically expensive. What solutions can you propose to control and measure these points with the lowest price and minimal installation. There are 3 points where we can control and measure the electric current: in the switchboard (rac din), in the electric cable (hall sensors and relays) and in the electric plug (electric plug meter and control). Which is the best solution?

Requirements:

- Cheap.

- Easy to program.

-1 gateway only

-Possible installation in switchboard (the current measurement and control part only).

Someone can propose me companies that sell something similar? I analysed:

Libelium
BeagleBoard
Arduino
RaspberryPi
Advanticsys
Memsic
Monnit
Epssilon
National Instruments
Schneider
Pervasa
Beanair
Campbell
Linear tecnology
Episensor
Sayme
Zolertia
Microstrain
Maxfor
Esensor-sensormetrix
Sonnonet
Plugwise
Kmote
One quan
Everspring

And I haven't found a properly solution. Do you know any alternative? Do you know a similar project?

Thanks for your time. :)
Well... You should also look into wireless technology...
Each sensor will most likely (for cost, and energy consumption) be a simple microcontroller like a PIC, or AVR and a radio of some sort. Zigbee wireless radios are one such product ideal for such an application. (Other radios are available, you will need to determine the desired range, and which additional features are desired)
The Gateway could be anything from your list above just so long as it also has a wireless radio, and enough CPU / Storage / Memory to run any application you want to run on it. It could very well be a computer.

fofo33

Feb 2, 2015
Thanks Gryd3,

I revised the following enterprises without succes:

Libelium
BeagleBoard
Arduino
RaspberryPi
Advanticsys
Memsic
Monnit
Epssilon
National Instruments
Schneider
Pervasa
Beanair
Campbell
Linear tecnology
Episensor
Sayme
Zolertia
Microstrain
Maxfor
Esensor-sensormetrix
Sonnonet
Plugwise
Kmote
One quan
Everspring

In relation with the radio module, as you say, Zigbee is the main option. The previous enterprises offer several commercial gateways, but the problem is not the radio technology or the gateway, the principal trouble is the possibility to control and measure 82 points (electric plug meters) with an acceptable price and a clean installation. We want a finalist product like Monnit or Campbell, so alternatives like Arduino or Raspberry Pi are not suitable.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks Gryd3,

I revised the following enterprises without succes:

Libelium
BeagleBoard
Arduino
RaspberryPi
Advanticsys
Memsic
Monnit
Epssilon
National Instruments
Schneider
Pervasa
Beanair
Campbell
Linear tecnology
Episensor
Sayme
Zolertia
Microstrain
Maxfor
Esensor-sensormetrix
Sonnonet
Plugwise
Kmote
One quan
Everspring

In relation with the radio module, as you say, Zigbee is the main option. The previous enterprises offer several commercial gateways, but the problem is not the radio technology or the gateway, the principal trouble is the possibility to control and measure 82 points (electric plug meters) with an acceptable price and a clean installation. We want a finalist product like Monnit or Campbell, so alternatives like Arduino or Raspberry Pi are not suitable.
Clean installation is what you need to figure out.
As far as the components are concerned, you need to determine what will work for for you and what wont.
The provided list will not do you much good as it is.
The Raspberry Pi is a small SoC... it's essentially a credit card computer.
The Arduino is a microcontroller, and is a completely different type of device than a Pi. Microcontrollers will be much smaller and more energy efficient. There are a number of different products available.

You system sounds like it's going to be multiple parts working together to form a centralized monitoring network... As such you need to determine you needs for each 'node' or sensor. You then need to determine what your requirements are for the hub or root 'node' that will coordinate and gather all of the relevant data.
Once you have the parts broken down, you can more easily determine what 'type' of devices will suffice, and from there you can look at different devices and vendors that fall into your requirement.

fofo33

Feb 2, 2015
Thanks, but I want a finalist solution, like Libelium o Monnit.