Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wireless Remote

Sambez

Nov 4, 2012
Hi,

I am currently working on a project in which two WIFI cameras are streaming into a central control unit.

I want a remote control that can wirelessly send two individual signals to this central control unit which can be manipulated through coding.

I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on how to build a wireless remote control that would ideally connect to the control unit through WIFI, or any another way. It would need to have a fairly large usage range.

Thanks, Sam

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
ok a few things here, define range. define the current setup, define what you want the remote to do.

If you have a setup that can take an input but is not "remote" then a simple circuit instead of a keyboard could act as a reciever allowing you to create keyboard.
if the range is 100metres then wifi might reach this.
if you want the remote to simple send commands then you could probably find someone that has made one or one of the guru's here might have a really great idea as long as you show us what we have to start with.
if however you want to stream the feed back to the remote as well then stop worrying about electronics, grab a tablet and start looking up programming.

in this day and age there are hundreds of apps for remote viewing of cameras. some are really good and include ptz (pan tilt zoom) functionality. hooking them up through the web or just a local network simply requires the right DVR, software and hardware

Sambez

Nov 4, 2012
ok a few things here, define range. define the current setup, define what you want the remote to do.

If you have a setup that can take an input but is not "remote" then a simple circuit instead of a keyboard could act as a reciever allowing you to create keyboard.
if the range is 100metres then wifi might reach this.
if you want the remote to simple send commands then you could probably find someone that has made one or one of the guru's here might have a really great idea as long as you show us what we have to start with.
if however you want to stream the feed back to the remote as well then stop worrying about electronics, grab a tablet and start looking up programming.

in this day and age there are hundreds of apps for remote viewing of cameras. some are really good and include ptz (pan tilt zoom) functionality. hooking them up through the web or just a local network simply requires the right DVR, software and hardware

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the lack of info, the central unit will be a beaglebone. The two cameras will be constantly streaming to the unit. All I need the remote to do is to send two easily separated signals that would be able to be manipulated through the software and tell the control unit wether to record data from camera 1 or camera 2. I have had no past experience with building wireless remotes, I have seen a few schematics for a simple RF remote, but they seem to require a bit more circuitry then I would like.

A range of 100m would be great, I recommended wifi as my beaglebone already has the capability and I wouldn't need any additional hardware.

Let us know if you require any additional info.

Thanks, sam

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
ok wifi is ALL softare, any smartphone can be hooked up to it.
from what I see the beaglebone is like a raspberry pi except slightly better. just a computer in reality. if you are using that for the recording device and it handles it fine then software is the key here.
if you are using beaglebones for the remote side then we need to know more about the reciever and dvr